Belt shredding - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 08:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Belt shredding

So I opened my hood and noticed a slash across my insulation on underside of hood. Further examination showed my belt had one of the grooves cut right out of it. I didnt know what happened and couldnt see anything in the way, so i replaced it. 3 days later it happened again. It is getting wrapped up in the fan and causing a bunch of rucus. Any ideas on wtf is happening? Maybe the pulleys aren't aligned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 10:02 AM

I had something similar. Replaced the shredded belt with a new one from NAPA, the one called for in their application guide. Almost instantly I found out what happened to the first one. Turns out, there are actually two different width belts listed for PSDs. One is, I think 7 rib, the other is 6. Maybe it's 8 & 7?

My A/C compressor pulley is one rib narrower than the other pulleys, requiring the narrower belt. Seems to work fine with that one, no slipping, no squealing.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:10 PM

The only trucks with the 7-rib belts were the 94 PSDs. All the later ones had 8-rib belts. I recommend checking your belt tensioner to make sure it hasn't canted sideways towards the motor (if it has it's bad). On my 97 (which was shredding off the inner rib) it turned out to be the power steering pump pulley which needed to be pulled out about 2mm on the shaft (use a power steering pump pulley installer/remover). I've had no problems since. Cheers!
Old 02-25-2013, 09:07 PM

Old 02-27-2013, 12:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Feeley View Post
The only trucks with the 7-rib belts were the 94 PSDs. All the later ones had 8-rib belts. I recommend checking your belt tensioner to make sure it hasn't canted sideways towards the motor (if it has it's bad). On my 97 (which was shredding off the inner rib) it turned out to be the power steering pump pulley which needed to be pulled out about 2mm on the shaft (use a power steering pump pulley installer/remover). I've had no problems since. Cheers!
X2 on the PS pump pulley. In my case, I think the aftermarket Bosch water pump I put on must have stuck out slightly more than stock. It would then route the belt slightly off to the PS pump. In my case, I put a thick washer on each bolt that holds the ps/vacuum pump bracket. Problem solved.
- Bill
Old 03-13-2013, 04:57 PM

Well I took it to Ford and was showing them and saw the problem before they did, I feel so stupid that I didnt see it before, the power steering pump bracket was broke causing the pulley to be pushed toward the grill, making the belt ride on the pulley, cutting it. Thanks guys for all of your help!
Old 11-13-2014, 12:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe0816 View Post
Well I took it to Ford and was showing them and saw the problem before they did, I feel so stupid that I didnt see it before, the power steering pump bracket was broke causing the pulley to be pushed toward the grill, making the belt ride on the pulley, cutting it. Thanks guys for all of your help!
I know this is a semi old thread, but my new to me '96 just had the same thing happen. By just happened, I mean I believe I drove around 500 miles to Ft. Rucker after it happened. Did you get yours fixed immediately or did you drive it some more? Also, was the top bolt on your pump sheered off? The reason I ask is my stepdad can weld it over Thanksgiving, but that is another 500 mile drive. Now that the belt went from 8 to 7 ribs it is tracking fine and there is no more squeal! I was thinking of putting a clamp on it and "tack weld" it with JB Weld until Thanksgiving and can fix it properly. On the other hand, it doesn't seem like it will get any worse if I just leave it alone for the time being. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Belt shredding-psp-copy.jpg  
Old 11-13-2014, 01:25 PM

I didn't have any broken bolts, just the bracket. I drove it for quite a while with vise grips holding the bracket together very tightly until I found a bracket (a hard find) However, when i got on it once the grips popped off and shredded the belt, which actually cut through the transmission line to the cooler. That was terrible. If you are easy on it, and carefull to listen for sounds (vise grips coming off and belt shredding) you will make it home. I would jb weld it and everything you can for the time being.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe0816 For This Useful Post:
jrkerns (11-14-2014)
Old 11-14-2014, 10:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you, sir! I'll be traveling with a spare belt and pump for the trip just in case I have to make some roadside repairs. A long time ago, I had to replace an alternator with only a hockey stick and a pair of vise grip pliers...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
belt, hump, serpentine, shred, shroud

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.