changed head gasket and still white smoke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 05:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
changed head gasket and still white smoke

so im new to this site but anyway, i picked up a 97 7.3 for a 1000 bucks and i was told it had a bad head gasket, i mean i new it was bc there was coolant in the oil and he said that it was bad so i took it home and tore down the motor and i seen there was a new head gasket on passanger side so i just replaced both of them and clean and reused the headbolts, btw the headbolts looked perfectly fine and i cleand them and put a little oil on the threads and way, i got the motor back together and started it up, and it runs perfectly fine but it still blows white smoke, it starts pretty good, but the oil is starting to get creamy.

could it be the old nasty oil that was in the hpop. im thinking its either somthing with the injectors or a bad oil cooler, but i am going to do a pressure check on it.

i just dont understand it runs perfectly fine the oil temp doest go above what its suppose to, and it starts fine

plzzzz help me im drawing a blank lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 06:06 PM

So, the oil is getting "creamy"? As in chocolate milkshake colored creamy?

If that's so and you are 1,000% that there is no possible way the new head gaskets could now be leaking, sounds like a few really good possibilities.

Did you check the heads and the block for flatness using a straight edge and feeler gauges? If they aren't flat flat flat, you will get leaks no matter what else you might try. If the engine got really hot it can and does warp heads and blocks.

Did you check the heads for cracks? The only 100% way to do this is Magnafluxing and typically requires a machine shop that is equipped.

Check out your oil cooler too.

The block could have a crack also.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yea the oil is starting to get the milkshake color again but, i didnt change the hpop oil so i kinda think the oil that was in it mixed with the new oil

i had the head checked and the block and everything look perfectly fine, i cleand everything perfectly i mean it was totally flat clean surface, i carbon scraped everything

i also got the torque procedure off of shopkey 5 the snapon database, and i did it with a snapon heavy duty torque wrench.

theres no oil or anything in the coolant just looks like the coolant is still in the oil

is there anyway to completly flush the oil system
Old 02-22-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtfreak51 View Post
is there anyway to completly flush the oil system
Only way I know is to drain every last bit you can, including the HPOP, use a new filter. You'll have to just change it all three or maybe four times. The problem is that there is oil all through the engine that doesn't get changed when you drain the crankcase. Lifters, the entire High Pressure Oil system including what's in the heads and the injectors, the oil cooler, puddled under the valve covers, etc. The only way to get that out is to rinse it clean with fresh oil.

Seriously sucks and gets expensive. Seems like there should be a better way, maybe by tapping into the Low Pressure system where a gauge would connect and forcing pressurized oil through the engine. Car Craft magazine built a pressurizer system like that for about $30 bucks as I remember. The article should be on their site. Carcraft.com

If you figure out how to do this, I'd have it draw from clean oil only and leave the drain plug out, draining into a separate container. Still gonna use 30+ quarts of oil at a minimum.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yea i hear ya, the plus side is i can get all my oil free so i dont have to worry about that just gotta get a couple oil filters

once i flush the system then ill really know if that was the problem, but im gonna pressure test the cooling system too to be safe

id rather it be anything but head gaskets lol that turbo pisses me off
Old 02-22-2013, 06:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

what about freeze plugs would that cause anything to mess up
Old 02-23-2013, 10:10 AM

Just a loss of coolant.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

injector cups could be leaking that will put water in the oil
Old 10-14-2013, 05:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Wow I got the same problem, had the heads done first,new gaskets,head bolts,glow plugs,and new O rings for injectors.Changed oil 3 times ,still mixing.
Next step changed oil cooler,got a new one. Changed oil 2 times, still mixing.
Next step pulled motor and changed seals on front timing cover. New oil & still mixing.
So I am thinking maybe cavitation on cylinder walls
Old 10-14-2013, 06:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne L View Post
injector cups could be leaking that will put water in the oil
Symptoms of cups will typically be the other way. Oil in the coolant.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.