Another EBPV question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 08:33 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mpdxtreme
Another EBPV question

Was doing some regular maintenance, finding and stopping leaks, on the PSD and discovered that the EBPV was leaking a lot of oil around the actuator rod (think thats what its called), the rod from the pedistal to the valve on the turbo. My truck needed up pipes also so I took the turbo, up pipes, pedistal, etc off. The PLAN was to get a new non-EBPV pedistal and put it back together. Well it seems that the pedistals are very hard to come by and my truck is just sitting waiting. I MIGHT have one coming at the end of this week but we will have to wait and see. My question is this, If I gut the stock EBPV and have the hole where the rod comes through TIG welded up will this cause any problems? I am concerned about oil flow to the turbo with the gutted pedistal. Am I being overly concerned about a non issue or will this cause problems? I have everything for reassembly but the pedistal. Any thoughts, first hand experience, whatever is welcomed.

Thanks
Greg G
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 08:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

My question is why do you want to get rid of it?
Old 02-19-2013, 08:39 AM

Your truck will take for ever to warm up it the winter. Plus you can get them programed I believe to work like a jake.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:42 AM

Mainly because of the oil leal around the rod and the hassle(sound) of it during the cooler months where I live.

Greg G
Old 02-19-2013, 08:53 AM

yeah, but they dont take long to quit. Plus like I said your truck will never warm up idling in the driveway. In fact if you left it out at napa idling by the time you got back it would be ice cold again. the egts on these trucks in the cold is only 150*. 250* if I have my high idle on. I would say the egts on your truck would be like 120* or less. That valve is for turning the turbo off while warming up. My cummins has a jake that i turn on when its cold out so that it warms up faster. What you could do is maybe have a chip burned that would only let the valve come on when your foot is off the accelerator. Instead of when your going down the road, like a jake.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:04 AM

I drive 30+ miles to work and when I drive the truck it never stops cycling. Might be something else, but the oil leak is what started this. Its been leaking a while.

Greg G
Old 02-19-2013, 09:17 AM
Full A-Team Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdxtreme View Post
Was doing some regular maintenance, finding and stopping leaks, on the PSD and discovered that the EBPV was leaking a lot of oil around the actuator rod (think thats what its called), the rod from the pedistal to the valve on the turbo. My truck needed up pipes also so I took the turbo, up pipes, pedistal, etc off. The PLAN was to get a new non-EBPV pedistal and put it back together. Well it seems that the pedistals are very hard to come by and my truck is just sitting waiting. I MIGHT have one coming at the end of this week but we will have to wait and see. My question is this, If I gut the stock EBPV and have the hole where the rod comes through TIG welded up will this cause any problems? I am concerned about oil flow to the turbo with the gutted pedistal. Am I being overly concerned about a non issue or will this cause problems? I have everything for reassembly but the pedistal. Any thoughts, first hand experience, whatever is welcomed.

Thanks
Greg G
Gut the inside and thread the hole and put a plug in it or Beans Diesel has the blank ones, or there are some on Ebay. Do not have it welded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabegoforth View Post
My question is why do you want to get rid of it?
Because of the massive oil leak they can cause. My truck warms up just fine without it, IMHO its it the dumbest thing they ever put on the truck

Last edited by Fordman247365; 02-19-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:21 AM

Theres something wrong. Mine is off by the time i go 2 miles at 40mph staying out of overdrive.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:31 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Mines been unplugged for 2 years now, annoying PITA it is. Sounds like garbage as well when it closes. I don't miss it one bit. Hopefully the entire EBPV system will be off the truck here in a couple weeks.

You can also plug the hole with a bolt, nut, washer, and some good RTV.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:35 AM

Just talked to the place that is supposed to be getting my non-EBPV pedistal in and he said the Garrett people are hinting that they arent going to make the non-EBPV pedistal anymore so if you find one and want it, grab it.

Greg G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.