97 7.3 Hard to no start when warm - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 01:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool 97 7.3 Hard to no start when warm

I have seen the other posts that discuss this issue, but i'm a newbie at diesels but very competent in mechanical work. I have a 97 CCLB 4x4 with the 7.3. I bought it from a guy who installed an edge eve tune on it on 3 (Extreme). It has straight exhaust and a AFE intake. I have replaced the glow plugs, glowplug relay, fuel pump, and the entire ac system of which still having a problem with the shims in the compressor. I have done all this myself with no problems.

Recently i noticed my truck would take a little longer to start after running it for awhile and thought I had some kind of bad diesel. after a week or so it got better with no notice in lagging cranking time. About 3 days ago it started taking 5-10 sec to crank when warm. No problem starting when cold in the mornings. I got onto all the forums and the suggestion was a bad IPR or ICP Sensor. Both expensive but I want my truck to be right! So I replaced both of them the IPR first with no change and then the ICP today. Truck never left me stranded till today. Eventually started up so I hauled *** home. I checked the level of oil in engine and HPOP, it was good and I changed it about 2 weeks ago with fresh oil filter. I also replaced the seals on the oil cooler then aswell because of a leak.

Today when I got home I plugged in the Edge Evo dohicky and tried to reprogram back to stock to see if that was the problem.. !@#$ now it screws up everything and there sending a reflash unit overnight to fix the error it has now. NO START AT ALL! Freggin unbelievable. I'll get that reflashed tommorrow and discountinue the use of the eve and get a 6 position chip in its place. Anybody want a new Edge Evo it will be here tomorrow?

Anyways. I heard that it could possibly be a bad HPOP or Orings on the injectors but the HPOP is not draining down and the truck runs smooth once started. ANY OTHER IDEAS BEFORE I GO BROKE!

1997 F350 CCLB AFE Intake, Straight exhaust, 37" Toyo's with a 4.5 RSK in front with V codes and a rear shackle flip in rear. Everything else is stock. (I THINK?) oh except for that edge evo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 10:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Day 2

Edge sent the new flash for my truck today. Wow, talked on the phone yesterday with a customer service tech at 3pm and it arrived today at 11am. Georgia to Dallas in a jiffy. So I reflashed to stock but I still dont think I want to run the edge evo again.

Same problem as before the cpm thing. Hard fast cranking after warm but slow to fire. Anybody got any ideas before I go take it to Rockwall Ford and get screwed...

Does anyone know of any reputable diesel shops nearby Rockwall Texas "Dallas, Texas" ????
Old 02-14-2013, 01:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ARGGGGG!!!

Just spoke to a diesel mechanic and he said to check the battery's when hot and having problem. Took it to Autozone for them to hook it up to there handy dandy machine/computer. 100% batteries. Dangit. If only new batteries would fix this. Well I bought another Cam position sensor which was still under warranty through auto zone from last year when I got the truck. The sensor only has 25000 miles on it. Gonna go change it here in a minute. I'll Get back to ya soon.......

Nope! No Change. (CPS installed)

Last edited by Joesdoor; 02-14-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:12 PM

What weight oil are you running? Do you have a decent oil pressure gauge? What is your cranking oil pressure when hot? Maybe test the high pressure oil pressure when hot and when cold.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Oil pressure

I have been running rotella 15w40 but just switched 2 weeks ago to delo 15w40. I only have the generic one that is in the instrument cluster, and it doesn't really start moving till its started. It has always done that. Any idea where I can get a good one or thoughts on different models. I would like to be able to test all pressures in the truck on my own but don't have the equipment.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Gosh, with the IPR replaced (I'm assuming it had new O-rings on it when installed?), you might need to see if oil is leaking out around the base of the injectors when running. Cheers!
Old 02-15-2013, 03:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Injector leak?

Yes the new ipr came with new orings. You check that with valve covers off right?
Old 02-15-2013, 05:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yes sir! Cheers!
Old 02-15-2013, 08:56 PM

There's a thread on here that talks about exactly where to tap for the low oil pressure gauge. The actual port is above the oil filter. As far as specific brands, I have GlowShift gauges, they work great. There are several great brands in the Jegs and Summit catalogs. Bear in mind most of these are only good for the low pressure system. There are gauges that will work on the high pressure side also. I don't know specific brands or where to tap in to check the pressures though there are many people on the board that can make specific recommendations and tell both of us where to tap in.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:42 PM

find buddy and swap out your PCM and IDM to see if the problem follows either of them i was having a similar porblem but it was my IPR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.