Exhaust Back Pressure Valve making super irritating whistling. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 03:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exhaust Back Pressure Valve making super irritating whistling.

So I'm pretty sure that this noise is the exhaust back pressure valve. The whistle is typically preceded by a hissing sound so I think I am getting some blow-by and it's sounding like someone blew up a balloon and is squeaking it back out through the mouthpiece by pulling on it.

I put two video's up before reading the thread at the top of this forum, so I don't mention the EBPV in them, but I explain when it happens and whatnot.

Basically I want confirmation that this is what is causing this noise, and basically the process for removing and cleaning/replacing this valve; if indeed that's what it is.

Thanks in advance!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPwLOVj-jH8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2013, 10:42 AM
Premium Member

Hey I'm having the same issue? It sounds like A jet engine blowing air through a small hole. Any luck figuring out what cause that?
Old 02-08-2013, 03:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Re: Exhaust Back Pressure Valve making super irritating whistling.

Winter Operation, Hard Starting, Hissing Sound Etc...

I made my Samsung SGH-I997 send this.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdio1231 View Post
Hey I'm having the same issue? It sounds like A jet engine blowing air through a small hole. Any luck figuring out what cause that?
Hey, I unplugged the actuator for the EBPV and the noise went away. Also the truck is much more predictable and pleasurable to drive. Maybe this weekend or next I will take the time to pull it apart and gut the thing as well as remove the actuator from the truck entirely.

If you want to unplug it first find the plug that works the actuator. It's going to be a 2 pin plug on the top of the engine, on the drivers side. It will be the only two pin connector in that area; mine was right under where the air inlet tube meets the turbo. Turn your truck on (or, preferably have someone else turn it on) and when you're looking at the valve (it's directly on the outlet of the exhaust side of the turbo, located in the back of the engine compartment) you'll see a push rod on the bottom of it. Watch this rod. You will see the rod extend (push towards the passenger side) and then retract (pull back towards the drivers side. When you notice that the rod is fully retracted, unplug the actuator. This will keep the EBPV in the open position. See if the noise goes away.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Hey, thanks for the info, but I went ahead and disconnected the EBPV anyway. It seems like most people consider this a fine practice and don't experience any ill effects. To be honest, the damn valve makes the truck irritating to drive. It's impossible to maintain a speed with constant throttle position with the thing opening and closing all the time. I plug in the block heater when it drops much below 40F and In the morning I typically warm the truck for 10-15min in cold weather while I take my shower.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:07 AM

Re: Exhaust Back Pressure Valve making super irritating whistling.

Leave the ebps plugged in. it affects fueling.
The ebpv connector, at the base of the turbo should be unplugged

Old 02-12-2013, 10:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Leave the ebps plugged in. it affects fueling.
The ebpv connector, at the base of the turbo should be unplugged

Isn't that what I did?

The two pin connector that controls the position of the EBPV is what i unplugged.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:44 PM

Yea, I was reading on my phone and was thinking you mean the connector at the end of the tube. AND I forgot this was an OBS. On SDs the plug is dead center, on the front of the turbo pedestal.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:44 PM

It is pointless to warm up a diesel by letting it idle in the driveway. The best way is to start it up, verify oil pressure, drive! That EBPV will turn off in 5 mins or less of 40mph driving. Your 7.3 only produces 200* exhaust temps while idling. When you get it going down the road it will get up to 400-600*. That is the best way to get it going. Also its not recommended to leave a diesel idling. A diesel engine is designed to have a 80% load all the time. the fastest way to ware one out is to leave it idling a lot. My friend who is the one that helps me do all my mechanical projects is a 30y Diesel mechanic and cant say how many diesels he's rebuilt because people idle them to much. He's always telling me to "drive it like you stole it", thats figuratively speaking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.