Where's My Oil Going? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 02-03-2013, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Where's My Oil Going?

Got a 96 7.3 with a 5 spd and 130,000 miles, that uses 1/2 a quart every hour. I did an oil analysis and a compression test and the motor is barely broke in. I already had a shop replace the injector o rings, and there's no oil going into the coolant either. I still think it's ending up in the fuel somehow, because I'm still getting quite a bit of blue smoke.Where else could the oil be going? The truck has been missing lately too, so while I had it in the shop they replaced 2 injectors, but to no avail.

2005 - 6.0 PSD - 5r110 - F 250 - Lariat - CCSB - Harley Head Lights- Homemade Steps - American Racing 18x10s - Homemade 4" Exhaust - Sinister Coolant Filter - Sinister EGR Delete - ELC Coolant - SCT W/ID Tunes - STC update - Fuel Spring Update - Edge Insight CTS W/Pyro - Glow Shift Fuel Pressure Gauge - 6.4 Banjo Bolts - Updated Turbo Drain/Feed Lines - MTW Stage 1 - Warren 155 W/Stock Nozzle - ARP Studs - S& B Intake - GOGO Direct Drive Solenoid
post #2 of 10 Old 02-19-2013, 05:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Where's My Oil Going?

I just posted similar issue. Following.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #3 of 10 Old 02-19-2013, 05:43 AM
Full A-Team Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
How is the turbo?

Elmo/Shane

96 F350 4x4
Everything.
And its expensive.

476,000 Miles

"100% worked for, 100% paid for"
post #4 of 10 Old 02-19-2013, 05:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayweber24 View Post
Got a 96 7.3 with a 5 spd and 130,000 miles, that uses 1/2 a quart every hour. I did an oil analysis and a compression test and the motor is barely broke in. I already had a shop replace the injector o rings, and there's no oil going into the coolant either. I still think it's ending up in the fuel somehow, because I'm still getting quite a bit of blue smoke.Where else could the oil be going? The truck has been missing lately too, so while I had it in the shop they replaced 2 injectors, but to no avail.
You are correct in assuming that if you've got blue smoke, the oils getting in with the fuel somehow. I would have a leak-down test done. Compression test is ok, but more of a snapshot picture. The leak-down will really see if you have problems. 1/2 quart an hour is huge! If it doesn't look like the Exxon Valdez under your truck, your burning oil.
- Bill
post #5 of 10 Old 02-19-2013, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

I just put a brand new turbo in it and its still burning oil somewhere! I think I'm going to get a set of good used injectors and swap them in with new o rings and see what happens. I read somewhere that these injectors can actually bypass oil internally sometimes, not sure if that's true or not? There's no oil leaks under the truck. Is it possible that injector cups are to blame? at 130,000 miles?

2005 - 6.0 PSD - 5r110 - F 250 - Lariat - CCSB - Harley Head Lights- Homemade Steps - American Racing 18x10s - Homemade 4" Exhaust - Sinister Coolant Filter - Sinister EGR Delete - ELC Coolant - SCT W/ID Tunes - STC update - Fuel Spring Update - Edge Insight CTS W/Pyro - Glow Shift Fuel Pressure Gauge - 6.4 Banjo Bolts - Updated Turbo Drain/Feed Lines - MTW Stage 1 - Warren 155 W/Stock Nozzle - ARP Studs - S& B Intake - GOGO Direct Drive Solenoid
post #6 of 10 Old 02-19-2013, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Probably not the cups. You will usually get fuel in the coolant with bad cups. Cheers!

1997 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, External Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD - 1994 F350 CC DRW 2WD PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, DPPI DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer Overhead Console, A-Pillar w/ISSPRO Black Ice, EV Boost, and EV Pyro, Modified Pedestal, Gutted EBPV.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-20-2013, 05:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Any oil in the fuel bowl?

95 reg cab 4x4 E4OD
Gauges
TC lockup switch
Gearhead tunes
Diy intake with Napa 6637
Non ebpv pedestal
5" mbrp
Ccv reroute.
2" lift with 315/75/16 MT ATZ
.....for sale

96 F-Superduty reg cab dump 2x4 zf5
Currently not pumping oil and id love to know why.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-21-2013, 03:29 AM

Mine was burning oil till I replaced the injectors with a rebuilt set.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-21-2013, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

^^^^ Pretty sure I'm gonna drop a complete rebuilt set in it. I think the injectors are bypassing oil internally. Especially since when I put a new fuel filter in it I didn't notice any oil wash in the fuel bowl. Where's the best place to get a set of rebuilt stock injectors?

post #10 of 10 Old 02-21-2013, 04:19 PM

I'm not sure about the best but I'm happy with my stage 1 injectors from rosewood.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode