Sluggish, need thoughts on EBPS and ICP... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 02:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sluggish, need thoughts on EBPS and ICP...

Ok guys,

A little back story here. Got a 1997 F350 Dually 4x4 5 speed with 277k on original stuff. Either way, when the truck is cold it is sluggish, but once warmed it wakes up a little, but still lacking in the power department. It does not smoke, starts great, and sounds good. Fresh fuel filter, fresh oil. 3 days ago I cleaned out the EBP tube and it was almost completely plugged, maybe it was. Ive also inspected intake side of turbo and it looks great. (have spare turbo to put in it.) The truck stumbles when around 2200 rpm and from there is slow to get to 3000rpm. Which sucks when driving, as it is already slow enough in the lower ranges.

I got around and put an Edge Evo CS on it to monitor stuff. ICP when warm seems to be around 550-600 at idle, crusing at 1900 rpm it sticks around 800-1100 depending on terrain and at WOT I see numbers as high as 2400. From what I read that is pretty much normal, but I put these numbers there just incase it is not.

The EBPS pressure is at most Ive seen 4. KOEO it is at 0, running 1 or 2, cruising around 3 or 4 and WOT 4. And the most boost I have been able to make is 3 and that is winding this thing out. I tried my best to clean out the EBPS sensor, but there was a lot of crud/rusty looking scale. Im wondering if a new sensor is in order (i kinda know it is, but wondering what you think of these numbers.)

Also, the IPR is around 11.9-12.5% at idle, and cruising it is around 18% or so. I am not sure what the number should be for the IPR, because everywhere I look there seems to be different answers.

Any help would be appreciated, and if I think of anything I forgot I will add it. I am bad about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2013, 09:30 AM

Anyone ?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-26-2013, 02:16 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to kendallcschm
check for an exhaust leak.. at WOT you should get more than 5PSI and just replace the EBPS and see what happens.. you probably didn't get an answer because we all know (including you) that the sensor needs replacement.. after its replaced we'll work from there and see whats going on.. what do you have for a tune?
Old 01-26-2013, 04:20 PM

Agreed on the sensor. But the ICP and IPR numbers are what I was curious about. Just wanted confirmation on those. You know how it is. I'm running a stock tune, just using gauges off the evo cs. It obviously has a minor issue with the sluggishness that I would like to correct before I start running a tune.

I have smelled exhaust in cab every so often and on differen occasions. Like, WOT, idle, cruising. It is never the same. Looking at uppipes there is no soot. Exhaust is intact and manifolds all look good.

My initial concern when I got it was turbo, becaus it felt like I was etting no boost and you didn't really hear it spool up till around 2100 Rpms. When I checked turbo wheel and stuff it looked excellent. I obviously only checked intake side, but is there something I could be missing, as far as exhaust leak points, from what I have listed as checked already?

Thank you

Old 01-28-2013, 05:00 PM

Update:

Got a new sensor today, and boy let me tell you. Night and day difference in drivability, engine revving speed, no stutters. Blah blah blah.

But....by ebp reading is still 3 or 4. I got it up to 7 today, during wot run. Also, still only reading 3psi boost on a wot run after sensor change. But!!!! It will put you in the seat. So I don't know if the edge cs is wrong on boost. My question is how does the edge, or any other gauge other than autometer ones read the boost pressure?

Old 01-28-2013, 05:44 PM

Probably using the data from the PCM for the MAP sensor. Cheers!
Old 01-28-2013, 06:03 PM

That's what I was leaning towards. But didn't wanna go around thinking something absolutely wrong.

Are these edge cs boost numbers accurate? I have this feeling I've heard they were not too accurate, but I can't remember where or from who. He'll, maybe I dreamed it. Idk. But if its reading info from the PCM then it has to be accurate if PCM is using the same #'s

Old 01-28-2013, 08:30 PM

Can't really say (I've never monitored the MAP data with my scanner software on the laptop while running). I do know that with my ISSPRO EV mechanical boost gauge, I would run about 4 psi cruising at 70mph in 5th gear and I would only see higher boost numbers (15-18 psi) at WOT under a decent load (uphill or pulling the trailer) in 3rd and 4th gears. Cheers!
Old 01-29-2013, 04:53 AM

Well that's good to know. At least I got the sluggish issue fixed.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Re: Sluggish, need thoughts on EBPS and ICP...

Take your ebps tube off. Prolly has cracks or rust hole where you can't see. When I first tried to clean mine I couldn't get wire down it so I shot some break cleaner down the tube and it drained. So I thought it was good. Well months later put on AE and seen it was flat lined on the graph. Pulled tube and had three rust holed and multiple heat related cracks. FWIW, Autozone sells stainless ones for $28, but they call them egr tubes????

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.