Fuel leak when cold when warms up nothing - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 06:17 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel leak when cold when warms up nothing

Hey all this Long time powerstroke owner first post on the site. I have a 95 psd manual 2wd reg cab/long bed.Have not run it all weekend it was 25 degrees out and it had not been plugged in for 2 days. Got in cranked strong ran fine went inside came outside saw major fuel leak coming from the engine valley. Stopped the truck got under the hood saw the valley filled to the top. Dried the valley ran the truck again nothing not a drop, ran it up to 90 mph 2500 rpm. Checked the lines around the fuel bowl no odvious leak spot checked the sensors holes. Any secrets toward this would be a great help. I have heard the 2nd generation powerstrokes leaking from drain valve but the 1st gen bowl is not the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 08:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mine started doing the same thing last night, I was just about to post something about it! Smelled diesel on the way home right after I fired it up and when I got home it was dripping down the back of the block and the valley had quite a bit laying on it as well. Dried it all off, started it up and nothing seemed to be leaking, drove it to work this morning still no leaks... It was 6 degrees here yesterday when I got done at work and my truck was not plugged in either.

Did you happen to look at new trucks this past weekend? I think mine is mad at me haha
Old 01-22-2013, 06:32 PM

Same thing all the way. Even aftger it sitting all night i plugged it in and it was clear as far as i could see. Im taking it into the shop tomorrow i figure its the o-rings but i dont have a garage and need the truck to get done while im at work ill keep up with the post and tat might help you out.

Ive been looking at 6.4's for a hot minute cant seem to find and super cab long beds. i could never get rid of my 7.3 though i just need more power and 4x4 for the horse trailer.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:16 AM

Yes please keep me updated. I check mine last night has a little bit of fuel in valley again but not near as much. I am hoping mine is not leaking from the o-rings that is something I replaced throughout the whole assembly last year, however I moved from FL to MO where the weather here has already taken its toll on her. It seems like every time I fix one problem something else decides to go but most everything has been replaced, not sure what else can go.

I d be hesitant to buy a 6.4 with everything I keep reading about them but that's just me. They sure do look nice and have so much power. I went and looked at the new 6.7 it was a nice truck but its not $64k nice when I am getting the same MPG's and my insurance is less, and oh yeah... no payment.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:12 PM

Got my truck in the shop. The specialty guy up here did not call me all day there pretty busy so i might not hear till tomorrow or friday. That small amount of fuel could be the fuel pump tappet. I had that in the engine valley sent it in to get fixed and valley has been bone dry until about 2 months ago when a saw a little but figured it was that stupid tappet again.

As far as the new truck search. What puts me in the 6.4 over the 6.7 is that where i live i can get the emissions stuff off enough so its not burning itself out. I have also see 6.7 blowing through plast intake tubes like none other super weird issue. it jsut seems so locked up to me. But your right about the payment and insurance. Its a big decision for sure.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:09 AM

That is a good point and may be why I cannot see any fuel leaks coming from the filter housing or the rubber lines. I have had the fuel pump out before but I dont think I have ever replaced it and I don't recall seeing any receipts from the original owner when I bought it 2 years ago. Does the pump have any sort of weep hole on it? If it is the tappet what did you do to fix the problem? I ordered every o-ring for the fuel system so I could tackle it this weekend and my other mysterious oil leak that I have no idea where it is coming from. I have replaced every o-ring in the motor that is prone to leaking.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:43 PM

Hey got the news back. Big fat goose egg i told them to seal the fuel bowl and change the filter while they were in their. He told me bring it back if it leaks again but he has been at it a while and he has never heard of anything like it.

Yes, there is a weep hole. They said they would check it and if the weap hole is "clean" then diesel has been running through it and if its "filled with dirt" then it hasnt. I wrote it that way because i would just use better judgement on what clean and dirty is for that. He said if significant amounts of fuel is coming out the weep hole its contaminating engine oil so check your oil for a diesel smell or discoloration Im changing mine this weekend.

Wheres that oil leak from? My tuck has had one that drips on the trani inspection plate. My uncle who i got the truck from said that some flaw in the design rubs a hole in something down there and it just drips oil very slowly and very low concern. Im not a pro mechanic though so my word isnt gospel Im not trying to BS anybody or mislead anyone.

If you keep the forum subscribed i will update it if my trucks starts to leak again and it would be great if you relay any discoveries over this way. Appreciate it big time.

Last edited by psdstrkD95; 01-24-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:31 PM

I really appreciate you keeping me updated. I went to the store and got a new fuel pump tonight and all my o-rings should be here tomorrow. I am just making sure I have everything before I got tearing into it because it is my only form of transportation unless I feel like braving the cold on my motorcycle lol. It did not seem to be leaking today which is so weird and the temp outside was -8. I am 99% sure I changed the fuel pump this past year because when I did it I replaced all of the original rubber lines connecting to it but I will pull it out and check the weep hole for good measure.

As far as the oil leak.... Well it is exactly as you described dripping into and down the outside of the trans inspection plate and I have seen where it was leaking from above it and I had no option but to seal it with marine 5200 but somewhere even outside of the inspection plate is leaking and I have replaced the pedestal o-rings, head plugs, valve cover gaskets and I still have a freakin leak. Normally it only leaks a very little amount of oil about a nickle size which amounts to less than a quart over an oil change period but lately it has been getting worse to where its leaks about a half dollar size. I ordered new pedestal o-rings because I replaced those 2 almost 3 years ago now and with the cold I wouldn't be surprised if that is where its leaking from again. Should be a fun filled weekend of wrenching but I will keep you posted as to what I find. Thanks again for keeping me updated it helps a lot when someone else is having weird issues!
Old 01-27-2013, 07:34 AM

Well psdstrk95 after about 15 hours of working on my truck I found the problem. My fuel pump was defiantly leaking from the weep hole and I believe I found out why but not in a good way. It seems as if I was vandalized, some put brown sugar in my tanks.... Here is a link to what I posted yesterday before I could possibly determine what was inside my fuel bowl and fuel system. Sediment in fuel bowl and now no start after pump replacement
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cold, cold leak, fuel, fuel bowl, fuel leak

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.