At wits end with no power issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 03:58 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
At wits end with no power issue

Ok, here is the deal. It will start fine even at 21* today, lopes about twice and then runs smooth. She will idle all day, give it some go juice and it will only idle up to about 1500 when cold, when up to op temp will go to 2000 and hold. When it is cold, I would be better off pushing it to go because it has no power at all. When it is at op temp it will take off fine as long as I baby it but can't go about the 2K. There is a lot of blueish whiteish smoke when cold and for a few minutes after, smells like exhaust, not oil or diesel. If going 50 mph and I floor it, it will downshift to 3rd, tach out at 2k rpm, and blow whiteish smoke. My EBPV is hard wired and works great. I have tried the map sensor test with no change, I have unplugged the ICP and it idles better but no change on other problems. Run it both with map and icp unplugged and no change. I have new UVCH covers with new injector orings and Gp, done about two weeks ago. It ran like a champ after I redid the orings and GP. If I unplug the UVCH, there is major change with all four connections. There is probably more I missed, sorry for the long post, but I'm about to rip my hair out. I have not scanned it yet because I cannot drop the 90 bucks at ford right now, and no CEL, no lights at all (and I know they work) I have yet to reseal the HPOP, FB, and turbo ped. (might do that this weekend) Don't know the fuel pressure yet, will check that hopefully tomorrow. I do have what seems to be an oil leak out the back, but no oil usage. Up front I have what seems to be maybe a fuel leak, but hard to tell. dripping off the power steering arm. Any ideas or suggestions would be great, or if you are close and can come help me look at this thing would be even better. Thanks for all the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 03:03 PM

Ok, so I have checked my fuel pressure at the bowl with the schrader valve at idle with a silver tire pressure gauge about six times, turned about 40 psi each time. So before I go buy a compression tester, could this be the problem of the no power. Keep in mind it has no problem starting and idling, but if it is cold, I have no power and at op temp I can baby it to speeds of 60 (never pushed more) Still not gettting above 2000 rpm. Will test for WOT pressure tonight when the wife gets home. hard to get a 3 yr old to help me out
Old 01-15-2013, 04:19 PM

Ok, just checked the orange boots, no tears or cracks as well as the map line. Did a fuel pressure test, same method, turned 35 psi at what would be WOT at 2000 rpm (cause that is all the higher I can get it to go) Turbo Seems fine, looks like my front drivers side leak is the power steering, still don't know about the leak off the backside until I can clean the vally and reseal everything, and put it all back together which will be this weekend. Any ideas or a direction to go. I'm starting to think more that it is the PCM.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:07 PM

Ok, well after a crazy day trying to get to RPM's we have it narrowed down. One the way up, I blew maxi fuxe 22 which let me set with a no start and no tach movement. Switched it and it fired up and finished the trip. Hooked up the scanned and checked it all out. Seems to be a fuel delivery issue, which is what I figured, but I wanted to know for sure and also the status of my injectors and everything. So for now, I will reseal the fuel bowl becuase I believe I have a terrible leak which could be the culprit. IF that don't fix it, then a new fuel pump. If that don't fix it, then I'll be back up at RPM's place. I will report back my findings sometime this weekend.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:22 PM

Ok, new lift pump today as well as resealed the bowl. PSi at the bowl at idle is 60. Still can't rev up past 2000 and no power under load to include empty truck driving. Ideas anyone? I have a feeling I will be going to see someone that has a name that starts with an R and ends with an M and has a P in the middle. Is it possible this thing has a governor or rev limiter that might have adjusted? No check engine light, no codes other than EBPS, everything checked out during the scan.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

At wits end with no power issue

Could the CPS be a problem here? Did you check that?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-19-2013, 07:52 AM

I've tried the CPS, but who is to say both are bad. If I switch them there is no change. I am thinking there has to be a clog between the tank switcher and the mechanical pump. Only thing that could restrict fuel on both tanks the same way. I am about to head to the shop here on post and put it on a lift so I can get up under it. Washington weather sucks so I'll pay the 7 bucks an hour to use the lift in a warm garage. I'll report back my findings later today.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:57 PM

So todays results: Tested the fuel supply by hooking a line up to the pump and going to a fuel can. No change. Pulled valve covers and checked each injector by unplugging them one at a time. Each one started a terribel miss when unplugged. Checked to make sure each inj. was seated properly. All level across both banks. went up to the wires and double checked the connections where the new pigs tails are spliced in and soldered each joint. Still no change. I am thinking weak IDM now. Any ideas? Suggestions? more hair for my replacement?
Old 01-19-2013, 06:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm hardly a brain around here and was just experiencing something somewhat similar to you, a loss of power and difficulty getting the rpm's up. I did a lot of what you did and the problem ended up being something pretty stupid.... My floor mat was jambed up under the skinny peddle.... I doubt you have the same problem, but for ****s and grins, take a look.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:10 PM

If I did all this work and that ended up, I would be pretty mad, but no, I don't even have floor mats. I'm already a little irritated that I have put a new lift pump and resealed the bowl and still have the problems. I really hate chucking parts at something. I'll be go to you know where if I buy a new IDM to find out it's not that. I am pretty sure it is, but still no chucking going on. Thanks for the tip though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.