96 rough start white smoke cold start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 10:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
96 rough start white smoke cold start

I know this is a comon question but I feel mine is a little axcessive. It blows white smoke like a power plant which I have been ignoring till now. The smoke is cleary fuel, you can tell by the smell and buring in your eyes. The truck has 190,000 miles and ran great all summer and fall even when temps were -30 it started like a champ, now it has warmed up to about 0 and I was experiencing hard starts when plugged in, I never leave it unplugged. Now it is around -10 -15 on most days and at start up the engine revs to over 1,000 RPMs and settles back to about 900-950 and runs rough for about 5 minutes before it settles down and starts a smooth idle around 850 which is usually when I kick on the high idle after its smooth and the alternater kicks in. I am concerned with what may be wrong because it started so much better at -30 usually never went above 900 RPMs on start up. At start up now it also takes a little bit longer to turn over than usual, maybe 3 or 4 seconds. I havnt had a no start problem yet but I am afraid it will when temps drop again. Any ideas on problems or am I just looking into it too much? Oh also for heaters I have 2 oil pan heaters 2 battery blankets and 1 block heater. Oil is 10-30 Synthetic and I try to run a fuel addative or 2 stroke oil ever couple fill ups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 10:53 AM
Winning DUHHH

My bet is three or so glow plugs are failed, also check your uvch for being loose

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-10-2013, 10:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I forgot to mention it runs perfect after warmed up, I don't know if that would matter for lose wires in the UVCH
Old 01-10-2013, 01:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If it runs perfect and you have no concerns except for the smoke on startup and the hard starting its self. Then is most likley glow plugs. If just a few of them are bad, it wont burn the fuel correctly on those cylinders. Causing white unburned fuel and also make it start a bit harder.

When I changed my glow plugs, one was clearly bad. My truck would haze white smoke for a few min's, besides that it ran great ect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
hard start when cold, white smoke

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.