Using oil - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 10:28 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Using oil

So yesterday driving around town, I went through a whole quart of oil. everytime I stopped, there was oil drops. Now of course here in Wa where it rains all the time, oil on water makes for a big circle, so it seemed like a lot. Anyway, at the end of the day, on the way home getting on the interstate, I noticed I had no power, shifting like a mess, but if I babied it, it was fine. (had to get home) So this morning I topped it off with oil and took it out for a drive, drove fantastic. Thought, ok, I have an oil leak, gotta search this weekend. Went out today and drove it pretty much all day today and used no oil. So now it got me thinking. I see the vally has wet oil in it, and the oil collection on the bottom of the motor is there at the lower end of the oil pan, as well as below the flywheel. I am thinking probably the fuel bowl or turbo. Both will be resealed in the near future. Just the one day I use a lot, next day none. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 08:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Most likely the 2 turbo pedestal o rings. When I first got my truck it was leaking oil in the same spots and I replaced them and still had oil on the pan and flywheel cover etc. Turns out after 240k miles I could loosen the oil pan bolts by hand, just something to check while your under there.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:44 PM

Thanks for the info. I did check them while it was on the lift, all were tight. my dipstick oring on the other hand was just dangling. I tightened that up and slowly the oil from there. I am still chasing one more leak. This cold and rainy weather does not entice me to go out there and chase jack.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I hear ya, for some reason I have been leaking oil more than the usually nickle size over night and I developed a major fuel leak as well. I m not sure where else the truck can leak from to be honest I have replaced every o-ring that is physically possible over the past year or so. My only thought is that the cold has already taken its toll on some of the o-rings I have already replaced. This is the first time in 15 years the truck has ever seen temperatures close or well below freezing. I moved up to Missouri from Florida where the truck spent all of its life until this past year. To think positively depending on what o-rings its leaking from should only take 1/2 the time since I know what I am doing now haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.