No start! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 09:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No start!

I just changed the glow plugs and now the truck won't start. The batteries were low on juice and I couldn't crank on it, so I charged it overnight. Now it cranks but I don't think theres any fuel getting to the engine because theres no chugging or white smoke like there normally is when it's this cold. I checked and got a little fuel to drip out of the line that goes into the fuel bowl. Could it be the fuel pump or something else? Any advice would be useful thanks!!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 10:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Could be pump, or lots of things.
I'd think maybe uvch got disturbed since you did gp's

I made my Samsung SGH-I997 send this.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

check high pressure oil pump reservoir. it should be no less than a 1/4 inch below the fill hole. if its lower fill it with engine oil
Old 12-29-2012, 05:25 PM

Does the WTS light come on?
Does the tach move when you crank it?
Old 12-29-2012, 05:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey everyone, just joined the site I have been on others but this thread seems to have people who know and work on the 7.3 DIT motor. I figurd I wold post here as I am having pretty much the same problem and maybe we all can come to an answer. He is a bit of info about my situation,

95 F350 7.3 DIT with about 165,000 on it, has been primarily a plow truck the last 10 years. The guy I bought it from did a 1st gen minute mount on the truck with the old 12 pin connectors, however I found out the hard way the guy did not know how to wire and wired the plow lights and power right into the main headlight and marker light harness. Well long story short I am anal and got fed up withy he lights going out going down the road, I pulled the wiring harnesses apart and removed all of his hacked wiring, I got down to the main harnesses and took forever to locate all of the wires to the markers and headlights even with a schematic. Today I made it a priority to finish the wiring as it was snowing tonight, got all the lights wired correctly and found one dead wire going to passenger marker lights so I wired a bypass 16 gauge from the rear marker wire that runs down behind the motor. All lights work now, all markers and directo
Iona's, my problem now is that throughout the day I was removing and reconnecting the three main wire distribution boxes, the two on the firewall that go to the inside fuses and inside functions as well as the wire loom to the injection control module on the drivers fender, I would say I had to remove them and reinstall them about 6 times each today just to check voltage and continuity of wires, I however being cold today and hands numb accidentally wacked the injection module controller with the ratchet today, I got everything buttoned up and went to start the truck wouldn't not kick over, it will crank and crank forever but just will not fire up. Throughout e whole process I had a battery charger on the main battery throughout the day while I had lights on, when I was finished with everything it just cranked and never fired and refuse to dump ether into the intake. Fishing around for the past 5 hours seeing what it could be came to the conclusion of many things, the ICP, CSP, oil pressure pump, fuel pump and of course the injection module controller I wacked with the ratchet. Now with about a foot of snow on the ground here in RI I am without my plow truck, I really need to get the truck running so I can plow my accounts tomorrow which I know probably is going to be a long shot. Does anyone know if a sudden shock to the injection control will disable it or fry it when I hit it with the ratchet, or possibly maybe fried something else during removal and installation of the distribution blocks so many times, I will also admit that once or twice I accidentally also removed the distribution blocks while the ignition key was on and flowing so I know I possibly may have fried something. I am at a stand still. I have all the manuals for the truck and can find all the sensors, just didn't really want to spend about $600 this weekend t get it up and going. There are a few things I will be checking in the morning which mainly will be the oil level in the reservoir for the high pressure pump, outside of that any suggestion with what I did today where the best place to start is. Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Greg
Old 12-30-2012, 05:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes the wait to start light works and the tach works to, and when you crank on it long enough there is oil pressure. Cold it be just the fact that it's been sitting in the cold for a month?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 12-30-2012, 09:44 AM

Are the batteries good and charged up? Try leaving the key in RUN for an extra 15-20 seconds, then turn to START. See if you get any smoke then at least. If not, then it's likely either a fuel issue or the IDM not controlling the injectors.

A month -- could it be you still have non-winter diesel in the tanks? If you can get your hands on some Power Service Diesel 911, try draining the bowl, and opening it and filling it with the 911, see if it at least barks.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

does anyone have a picture of the uvch? changed my plugs and relay n have a hard time to start
Old 12-30-2012, 05:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

UVCH

Hey powerslave, the under valve cover harness (uvch) is attached, the picture is from autozone, not that I would buy it there but they have the best picture of it I've seen.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Okay. I'm gonna check that out. Seems cheap enough to just replace. Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.