Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

no fuel? just quit, need it running asap!

2K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  madpogue 
#1 ·
This is a 96' 7.3. My wife was driving it two weeks ago, and it just quit on her, she couldn't get it started, so got a ride to town. I went out 2 hours later and drove it home with no problem at all. It ran for a week, then it kind of hesitated twice and tryed to stall then came back. I thought it was the fuel filter so I bought one, got side tracked and didn't put it in. Today on my way to work it just died, and after cranking a little bit the battery died, while I was waiting for a jump, changed the filter thinking that was my problem, got a jump, started up no problem, drove to work. My wife dropped me off cause she needed the pickup, she sat at my shop for about a half hr, then made it a mile, I went and jumped it again, it made it two miles and won't start at all, on ether it will start right up, but not stay running (glow plug relay is gone! I know ether=bad) which leads me to believe its a fuel problem. It just had a new hpop and lpop and some other stuff last year. My thoughts are the fuel pump, I was going to pick one up in the morning to try it but if someone has another suggestion please help. And to let you know there is fuel in the bowl when you pull the filter.

#8 ·
CPS picks up engine rpm for the pcm. If its reading then your tach should bounce when cranking....if it doesn't bounce then its a hint that the cps might not be working(not reading rpm and not telling the pcm what it needs to know)

thats the theory anyway, sometimes its a sign, sometimes they go bad and you still might have tach bounce. So the best thing is just replace the the 10$ part and if it doesn't help. SPARE IN THE GLOVEBOX :D for when it inevitably does happen.

#14 ·
Keep your info here so that we arent jumping around. The burned up wires arent good, pull the valve covers off and see if both sides are f-ed. Also the under cover harnesses are probably in bad shape also.

I am starting to think your PCM died.....

I didnt read back, did you check fuse 22 in the black box under the hood?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.