Thinking about switch to gas - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 12-28-2012, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 35
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thinking about switch to gas

If I did switch my 7.3L to a gas motor in my 250, what engine would be the best and would i have to swap tranny to or is there a 7.5 or somethin that will bolt up to it?
Evanla_33 is offline  
post #2 of 15 Old 12-28-2012, 04:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Damariscotta Maine
Posts: 642
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Whats wrong with your 7.3? I think bb 460 would be closest for sure.




1997 F250 7.3 5 speed, 3.55s, D60, 4" Diamond Eye Exhaust, Napa Intake Filter, E-Fuel, 35" bfg mt's, stage 2 rosewoods/tuning, Gauges

Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.
--Henry Ford
csdwarf11 is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 12-28-2012, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 35
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just did the heads $2000, 2 injectors $600.00 water pump $200 , uvch and glow plugs with realy $250.00 and the thing still smokes and has a rough idle & that was just parts I did the work, Could have bought a new gas engine by now! love the 7.3 but just waiting my options before i do an over haul or something crazy! A diesel is kind of over kill for just driving to work, I spend more in fuel warming it up than driving it.
Evanla_33 is offline  
post #4 of 15 Old 12-28-2012, 06:08 PM
Full A-Team Member
 
Fordman247365's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Phillips, WI
Posts: 6,407
Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You could have gotten a whole different engine for the $2k you dumped on heads, you got raped. Did you do a compression check on it before you dumped $$. You got severly raped for the glow plugs and relay also, the best money can buy can be had for $120 for the relay and plugs.

Elmo/Shane

96 F350 4x4
Everything.
And its expensive.

476,000 Miles


"100% worked for, 100% paid for"
Fordman247365 is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 12-28-2012, 10:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Damariscotta Maine
Posts: 642
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evanla_33 View Post
Just did the heads $2000, 2 injectors $600.00 water pump $200 , uvch and glow plugs with realy $250.00 and the thing still smokes and has a rough idle & that was just parts I did the work, Could have bought a new gas engine by now! love the 7.3 but just waiting my options before i do an over haul or something crazy! A diesel is kind of over kill for just driving to work, I spend more in fuel warming it up than driving it.
wow man, thats terrible....(( im sorry did it hurt?


-There is a guy selling magnafluxed know good heads on my local craigslist for 300obo a set.

-you could have spent 1200 and had all 8 rebuilt and upgraded to stage 1's

-friend just got a waterpump for 80$ off rock auto with a decent warranty...

-you also got taken on glow plugs and all that jazz as said before...


-you should have checked compression, sensors, fuel pressure, HPOP ect before throwing everything at it like that....what made you think it needed head work? and how did you figure 2000$ was the price to pay?

-if your spending a considerable amount of money in fuel letting the truck idle, your probably just washing the thing down....just plug it in a few hours before work, 10c KwH...really not expensive.


a engine swap will be a lot of work, you will be dropping the value of your truck thousands of dollars and spending even more to do so.

I personally would pay more for what you seem to think is a broken pile of scrap 7.3 then I ever would with a 460 gas running flawless.

you wanted opinions




1997 F250 7.3 5 speed, 3.55s, D60, 4" Diamond Eye Exhaust, Napa Intake Filter, E-Fuel, 35" bfg mt's, stage 2 rosewoods/tuning, Gauges

Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.
--Henry Ford
csdwarf11 is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 12-28-2012, 10:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Damariscotta Maine
Posts: 642
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If you plan on doing an engine swap im going to assume you dont need the truck in some big rush type of manner. So hear me out.


Before you do something I think is stupid. Let me try to help you.

Explain exactly what the issue is, take videos, pictures ect.

Get pressues for me, HPOP and fuel pressue, compression.

Rough idle all the time? or just when cold? when is the smoke? only when its cold?

smoke constant? look into the turbo, Oil in DP? ect. theres a lot to look into.




1997 F250 7.3 5 speed, 3.55s, D60, 4" Diamond Eye Exhaust, Napa Intake Filter, E-Fuel, 35" bfg mt's, stage 2 rosewoods/tuning, Gauges

Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.
--Henry Ford
csdwarf11 is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 12-31-2012, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 35
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by csdwarf11 View Post
If you plan on doing an engine swap im going to assume you dont need the truck in some big rush type of manner. So hear me out.


Before you do something I think is stupid. Let me try to help you.

Explain exactly what the issue is, take videos, pictures ect.

Get pressues for me, HPOP and fuel pressue, compression.

Rough idle all the time? or just when cold? when is the smoke? only when its cold?

smoke constant? look into the turbo, Oil in DP? ect. theres a lot to look into.
Compression is around 400 on all clyinders,Was 240 on # 7, 400 now, Fuel pressure is 75psi with the california spring. IPR is around 580-600 at idle, arould 2000psi WOT. and there is oil in my DP. Puffs "o"'s when cold. I had the machine shop redo the heads, all new valve,seal, guides totally redone. Could have shaved with one of the valves was so thin. Any help would be great, love the 7.3 and the power just getting frustrated. Smokes mostley on start up but still a little blue when warm. Is it possible to still have a bad injector even though they pass a buzz test?
Evanla_33 is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 12-31-2012, 08:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
catlinB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: PEI Canada
Posts: 1,704
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evanla_33 View Post
Compression is around 400 on all clyinders,Was 240 on # 7, 400 now, Fuel pressure is 75psi with the california spring. IPR is around 580-600 at idle, arould 2000psi WOT. and there is oil in my DP. Puffs "o"'s when cold. I had the machine shop redo the heads, all new valve,seal, guides totally redone. Could have shaved with one of the valves was so thin. Any help would be great, love the 7.3 and the power just getting frustrated. Smokes mostley on start up but still a little blue when warm. Is it possible to still have a bad injector even though they pass a buzz test?

what about your valve cover gaskets ? and pigtails/wiring? all that look good no frays burnt black ?

Catlin...

newest
2002 F-350 Lariat Ext Cab
4x4 auto, 139,000miles
with a super-chip tuner

SOLD
2000 F-250 Lariat Ext Cab
4x4 6 spd
Stock

1996
F-250 4x4 7.3L Turbo(Stock
5 speed ZF
3" Body Lift


Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFLASH View Post
Lol what kind of frankenstroke did you buy???

catlinB is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 12-31-2012, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 35
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlinB View Post
what about your valve cover gaskets ? and pigtails/wiring? all that look good no frays burnt black ?
All ready change and new. Is there a way to test the harness going to the UVCH?
Evanla_33 is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 12-31-2012, 03:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 31
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
id be willing to bet its you injector o-rings. oil drips into the fuel part of the injector and its injected into the cylinder with the fuel. this is causing the smoke you see and it could be bad enough to go out your exhaust valves and out your turbo
whitepowerstroke444 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome