7.3 turb spitting and sputtering - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 05:28 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 turb spitting and sputtering

Ok, just bought this truck today and got a good deal on it. It is a "mechanics special". Starts fine, runs fine at 60mph at 1900rpm, no smoke while idling, small blue cloud when throttled. 1996 F350 7.3PSD, stoke turbo, 4.10:1 gears, 260K miles, crew cab, E4OD auto tranny, and no mods as of yet.
So here is the problem, it will start fine and if I baby it, it will get up to speed, shift very smooth and go like no problem but if I push the pedal down and put some pressure to it, she will start to spit and sputter and jump and buck. Once I let off the throttle and ease it back on, it will run fine. Also, if I am sitting still and gun it, it will again spit and sputter and buck and if I just drop all throttle she will die, if I ease off the throttle, it will continue to run.
I don't the pre maintenance of this truck because I just bought it. Tomorrow I am putting on a 6637 air filter, new CPS(black one from Ford, and if the old one is good, then I will put it in the glovebox for a spare), new fuel pump and clean the screen on the bowl and an oil change with new filter.Hopefully this will solve the problem, if not, any suggestions? Thanks guys and gals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 06:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

does the truck do it when it is in park or neautral?
Old 12-27-2012, 06:58 PM

It will sit there and idle fine. Sometimes it sounds like an injector quits and then it smooths out. But she will crank up right away and idle fine all day, well for a good bit, being this is my first day owning it lol.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:32 PM

Ok, did some research and had items in mind to change. To fix the spitting and sputtering, after I changed the CPS with the dark blue one from Ford (there was a black one in there) the spitting and sputtering cleared up. To help this motor because I don't know how much abuse it took, I also changed the oil tonight with motorcraft filter and diesel synthetic oil as well as upgraded the air filter (which was stock and really really dirty) to the 6637. Just need some work on that to get it to sit right. I went to change the fuel filter, but seems there is an after market one on there and I got the one from Ford for that truck and it did not fit. The inside of the bowl seemed really clean. Also ran all the old fuel out of the front tank and put new in it. Tomorrow I plan on finding the correct fuel filter and replacing it as well as adjusting my air filter so it seats correctly. Now I just don't hear the turbo spooling up, so I will be looking into that tomorrow. Seems she just don't have the power it should. I will post later with my findings. Now I can start tracking fuel mileage.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:00 AM

To my above post about the power issue, I don't really have another truck to compare to. My dad's F 250 extended cab is lighter in weight and it has bigger turbo, power chip, all the works, so I can't compare stock power. I will work this issue slowly. Right now I am focusing on changing fluids because I don't know what the PO had used or how old it is. So I am changing the rear diff fluid as well as checking to see how much slack/play there is and hope my front pinion seal is not leaking. Then I will be changing top end fluid as well. Some say you don't, so say you do. Any suggestions? Also, I'm guessing since it has stock exhaust that the bent 3" DP is probably causing it not to breath, problem is here in Wa you have to have emissions test. I will have to work that problem secret squirrel, just like we did with the jeeps in Germany with oversized tires. (boy did the inspection guy hate us lol)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.