95 psd problems snow on ground and car stuck at home! need to fix asap! video inside! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 10:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
95 psd problems snow on ground and car stuck at home! need to fix asap! video inside!

95 psd starts for a min. Or so then clatters and dies. After posting video I understand starting fluid isn't needed it will start fine and then runs rough and dies. This is very important I get my truck rolling again my car is snowed in for the winter. Any help would be greatly appreciated! More details in video. Thanks for the help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 12:53 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Let's start with the basics, how old are your oil and fuel filters? Your tach looked normal but it could be a CPS. Get a scanner so you can check ICP and rig up a fuel pressure gauge.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Oil and fuel filters are about a couple weeks old so not there. And my edge evo wont pull any codes from the truck? But when it dies it does throw a check engine light. And then when you restart the light goes out. I'll have to find a way to rig up some gauges because a scanner besides my edge is out of the picture for now.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Before you start trouble shooting just about anything on these trucks make sure you have swapped in a known working cps. The tach moving does not necessarily mean that the cps is in working condition. My 97 obs had a cps fail that still moved the tach.

If you are quick enough you can get a fuel pressure reading off of the schrader valve with a tire guage before the truck dies on you. If you have sufficient fuel pressure try unplugging the ICP sensor and if it runs like that replace the ICP sensor. This would be a good cheap way to start trouble shooting.

Last edited by FurbyPower; 12-27-2012 at 06:05 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Fuel is real low, below 1/4. Bad idea in winter, as more airspace in the tank means more water in the fuel. Plus, if you have the semi-common problem with the pickup/screen in the tank coming loose, it'll starve for fuel when below 1/4.

Is the Edge gizmo still in play, or is the PCM back to stock?

Check HPOP reservoir level before starting, and after it stalls. How's the oil level in general?

Fuel pressure is a strong possibility, indeed.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok so heres the latest truck will stay running but sounds like its on half of its cylinders. Limped it to the gas station and put close to half a tank in it hoping it was the problem. With no changes have to peddle it to stay idling. And at wot it will go maybe 40mph. Hitting on maybe 6 or so cylinders. But if you shut the truck off and restart it l, it will idle fine for a split second then light comes on and chugs hard and stays that way. Icp sensor unplugged no change. I have a spare idm changed it out still no change hpop res. Full to bottom of threads? This is killing me without a scanner I know but funds arent available. And trying to find out whats wrong so I know im not tossing money in the air when its tight in the winter because I work construction and am currently laid off. Thanks again for the help.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:15 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
IPR will cause starting issues, but typically only after the engine is warm.

CPS would be a probable suspect.

UVCH will cause a rough idle but if it was that, it would do it from the start.

Let me keep thinking.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Fuel pressure on a electric tire gauge bounces from 48 to 60psi but mostly 60
Old 12-27-2012, 10:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If it literally feels like it's not hitting on all 8, it could be a UVCH issue on one side, causing the IDM to shut that side down. Check all UVCH connections on the outside, look for burned wires/pins, esp. on the inner three of each connector (injector wires). You might even try disconnecting one UVCH connector at a time and starting it up; if it does NOT run any worse with a particular one disconnected, that indicates those injectors aren't firing.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update !New cps sensor installed and no change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.