Won't start, Won't scan! HELP!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 09:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Won't start, Won't scan! HELP!!!

I bought my son a nice '97 7.3L F250 about two weeks ago. He hasn't had any problems out of it in the few days he's driven it until last night. He cranked it up to leave and was pulling out of the drive when it died for no apparent reason. We pushed it back in the yard and it won't do anything but spin over. It doesn't even attempt to fire. The batteries are new. I put my Snap-On scanner on it this morning and it won't read. It won't even power up unless I hold down the reserve power button and when it does, it goes through the KOEO process then says "test aborted: engine not responding". I thought the problem might be with the scanner, so I put it on my '95 and it worked perfectly. I even did a buzz test on my 95 while I had it on there and it worked without holding down the reserve power button.

Any suggestions at all? I assume that if the scanner won't even read power, then it must be something eletrical or computerized? The lights, radio, etc. all work perfectly. It just won't start.

I bought the truck from a local used car lot, but it was as-is, no warranty.

Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 12:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Is the CEL illuminated? Does the Wait-to-Start light come on when you turn the key on for the glow plugs? If not, check fuse #22 in the underhood fusebox. If it is blown (check it with a multimeter, don't just look at it) the fuel heater may have shorted out (the same circuit supplies power to the PCM). You will need to disconnect the fuel heater (2nd wire down on the driver's side of the fuel bowl, funky looking spade connector) or disconnect it at the small spade connetor on the inside of the fuel bowl after draining and removing the filter. Replace the fuse and try again. Also make sure the cigarette light fuse is good as it also powers the duagnostic port. Post up what you find. Cheers!
Old 11-21-2012, 12:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I pulled the fuse and it was blown. I followed the instructions, replaced it, left the heater unplugged and now it's running. I even managed to pull some codes, which seemed to be either a bad glow plug or a glow plug harness problem and a IAT sensor issue. But the main thing is it's running and I'm not stranded. Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.