fresh install no start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 07:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
fresh install no start

Hey fellows just registered but have been a fan of this site for over a year. I was now hoping to get some help on this cluster I got myself into.

I just bought a 97 f250 that the previous owner had the motor swapped out of a van. He hasn't had it running without spraying it. I know that;s not good anyway I have been able to get it do nothing more than crank, it builds oil pressure per gauge and I think RPMs again the gauge. I have also determined the fuel bowl is filling. I also dragged it (the truck) and my buddy had in 2nd and it seems to run or at least it sounds like it, while dragging it if I quit pulling it, it dies. The motor ran fine in the van before the swap out. The radiator hasn't been installed yet nor has the air cleaner. I also say that to give you guys an idea of where we are. It appears all of the harness is connected and the motor has oil in it.

Does anyone have a clue where I should start to get this truck running. I appreciate the feedback as I'm not able to just throw parts at it. Take Care..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 08:13 AM
Hee Hee, he's doing it...

Is there white smoke while cranking?
Old 11-20-2012, 08:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFuel View Post
Is there white smoke while cranking?
no smoke unless I spray it. all it does is cranks, the guy that had it before me bought a brand new starter so it turns over good just nothing more unless I drag it.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:22 AM

Sounds like the IDM is not doing it's job. Does the "Check Engine" light flash on when you rotate the key to "Run"? Is it on now? Have you checked for codes? What is your fuel pressure? All your under hood fuses are good?

Do you have a Volt Meter?
Old 11-20-2012, 12:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Sounds like the IDM is not doing it's job. Does the "Check Engine" light flash on when you rotate the key to "Run"? Is it on now? Have you checked for codes? What is your fuel pressure? All your under hood fuses are good?

Do you have a Volt Meter?
I do have a multi meter. I don't think the check engine is flashing however I will have to ck that and get back with you. The truck is about 100 miles from me right now just trying to map out a course of action to get after it when I go back down there this up coming weekend if the weather is decent. I don't have a fuel pressure tester but I know I opened the bowl up and it fills rather quickly. It was empty when I first got as I determined a line was leaking on the driverside. I have since repaired that and still no start.

I appreciate all your help as I would really love to get it running..
Old 11-20-2012, 01:30 PM

No check engine light is one of three things. 1) fuses/relay no good. 2) printed board/bulb in the display no good. 3) PCM no good. Check the stuff here and above and we'll start there. Hopefully we can keep this cheap.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
No check engine light is one of three things. 1) fuses/relay no good. 2) printed board/bulb in the display no good. 3) PCM no good. Check the stuff here and above and we'll start there. Hopefully we can keep this cheap.
I was thinking this before abt the bulb as around here people are apt to remove to make go out.

If I can get the bulb to work can I read the codes in some way by initiating it? like a flash sequence? or do i have to have a scan tool?
Old 11-20-2012, 01:52 PM

No, the bulb just tells you that there is something stored. A lot of inexpensive scanners won't read the truck Both of mine do read mine but I have a '97 Cali truck. Maybe you have a friend or buddy at a auto shop that would let you borrow it for an hour?
Old 11-20-2012, 01:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok gotcha, i have a friend with a high dollar snap on one just not sure if he has what is needed to read the powerstroke. I guess I'll have to find out. I appreciate the responses once again..
Old 11-20-2012, 02:05 PM

Your '97 aught to be OBD II compliant-ish. The Snap-On scanner can run electronic tests too. Perform a buzz test when you can. IIRC only 95 and older need to be Ford flashed to accept commands from a non Ford scanner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.