Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Looking at buying a truck that had a blown oil line... Wondering about damage.

782 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  madpogue 
#1 ·
Hey guys, after selling my 95 diesel and driving a gasser for a while, I'm looking at buying another PSD. I found a 1997 with 142xxx miles on it. Nothing mentioned on the ad about the failure until I called him. I asked about any issues and he said he blew an oil line and its "in the process of getting fixed. Now I know that the injectors are fired off of high pressure oil, but he said the line that blew out was off of the oil pump (I'm assuming HPOP). My question is that although the engine will not run with sufficient oil pressure, is it likely that some other components got starved of oil and damaged in the process? Its low miles, and looks like good condition. its a 4wd 5 speed and hes asking 7000 or best offer. what are your thoughts?

Thanks, guys!

Brian

#3 ·
Generally, when an HPOP line blows the engine will stop running when there is insufficient HP oil pressure (there will still be many quarts of oil in the crankcase). Cheers!

#4 ·
^x2 It's kind of a good failsafe for the injection system. Anything that happens to the HPOP or the oil shuts down the motor and saves it from damage. If he hasn't fixed it yet offer him less money and tow it away. get new lines online or at your local Hose-Man.

#5 ·
If the new clutch includes a single-mass flywheel conversion (and the dude should be slapped if it doesn't), then it's a pretty good deal on a clean-body truck in the midwest. Just get rid of that K&N wannabee rice-boy filter and put a real 6637-ish filter on.

Oh, and ditch the Edge and get a real chip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.