Looking at buying a truck that had a blown oil line... Wondering about damage. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 01:30 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking at buying a truck that had a blown oil line... Wondering about damage.

Hey guys, after selling my 95 diesel and driving a gasser for a while, I'm looking at buying another PSD. I found a 1997 with 142xxx miles on it. Nothing mentioned on the ad about the failure until I called him. I asked about any issues and he said he blew an oil line and its "in the process of getting fixed. Now I know that the injectors are fired off of high pressure oil, but he said the line that blew out was off of the oil pump (I'm assuming HPOP). My question is that although the engine will not run with sufficient oil pressure, is it likely that some other components got starved of oil and damaged in the process? Its low miles, and looks like good condition. its a 4wd 5 speed and hes asking 7000 or best offer. what are your thoughts?

Thanks, guys!

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 01:32 PM

here's a link to the ad: 1997 f350 srw powerstroke
Old 11-12-2012, 08:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Generally, when an HPOP line blows the engine will stop running when there is insufficient HP oil pressure (there will still be many quarts of oil in the crankcase). Cheers!
Old 11-13-2012, 10:14 AM
BANNED by Kris

^x2 It's kind of a good failsafe for the injection system. Anything that happens to the HPOP or the oil shuts down the motor and saves it from damage. If he hasn't fixed it yet offer him less money and tow it away. get new lines online or at your local Hose-Man.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If the new clutch includes a single-mass flywheel conversion (and the dude should be slapped if it doesn't), then it's a pretty good deal on a clean-body truck in the midwest. Just get rid of that K&N wannabee rice-boy filter and put a real 6637-ish filter on.

Oh, and ditch the Edge and get a real chip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.