No acceleration or power - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 10:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No acceleration or power

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My '02 F350 started running very poorly while returning from a trip. A friend with a Ford computer code reader found an ICP code and P 1211 & P1209. What does ICP stand for? On another thread I found a picture of the engine bay with it's location, but not what it is. Also what are the codes????? I learned that ICP stands for Injector Control Pressure (sensor)
Symptons are the I put my foot to the floor and it just sits there and looks back at me for about 2 to 5 seconds then takes off. Highway speeds were 60 at best on a slight down hill highway, level it'd barely hold 50 in third gear. ANY up hill and it's down to 20 some mph. All this with the foot feed on the floor. Coolant temps were lower than normal as was the boost & exhaust temps.
Anyone had any dealings with the drive by wire accelerator peddle?
Any ideas?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 02:46 PM
BANNED by Kris

Couple things:

-Yes, ICP does stand for Injector Control Pressure but it is misleading. The ICP is a end of system feedback for the High Pressure Oil Pump. The ICP tells the PCM what the HPOP is producing in terms of PSI of Oil to pop the injectors.

-All your codes lead to a ICP failure or the wiring to the ICP to have failed. When the ICP system fails the PCM defaults to 500 psi of oil for the injectors. This is the normal IDLING pressure that the injectors need to fire off. With you trying to drive down the road your injectors just don't have the hydraulic power to do it well. Do you have a DVOM? If so I can guide you through the testing procedure.

-Lastly you have mistakenly posted this in the OBS section of the .org. This is probably why nobody have gotten back to you. You scared them off with your power and technology

OOhhhh, fire baddd.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:50 PM

Yes, I have a dvom (digital volt ohm meter) it's a Fluke. Lead me on brother. I didn't understand your last paragraph place Lastly you have mistakenly posted this in the OBS section of the .org. This is probably why nobody have gotten back to you. You scared them off with your power and technology If it's important pleas enlighten me. I see, I orginally posted this in the 03 drive train problems, then tried to redo it in the motor section, but got it in the older 7.3 section by mistake. Thanks for the heads up. I look forward to your instructions on how to test the problem out.

Last edited by Bart_3500; 11-08-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:42 PM
BANNED by Kris

This section of the forum is for '94-97, 7.3L's. Your truck and question is for a '99-03, 7.3L section. Your truck and engine is more powerful than our 1st Gen Power Strokes but with that comes the scariness of all the more electronics that you have that we do not. In this particular case it is inconsequential as our motors are mostly the same.

Ok, locate the ICP and on will be 3 wires, 2 in line and one offset from the others. Now my knowledge is mostly on the OBS Fords so my pin ID may not be the same as yours but the pictures will be the same. The two pins even with each other are the + and - and the pin that is off the other two is the signal back to the PCM. Get three staples and bend one leg of each staple straight. Insert each staple into the connector between the wire and the rubber weather seal and push it in as far as it will go. Start the truck. Using the DVOM touch and record the signal from each staple. Pin B needs to be at least 12v. Pin C is the signal back to the PCM and needs to be at least 1v. Are you getting any Voltage? Snap the throttle, did the voltage on Pin C change?

Old 11-08-2012, 03:55 PM

Thanks, I'm assuming that I'll be using my vom pin to ground. Correct? I'm familar with most of this as I just finished converting an '81 FSB to a complete '90 FSB power train.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:05 PM
BANNED by Kris

Nice! Yes the Neg. lead to the Batt. Neg.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:07 PM

going outside to check now. Thanks
Old 11-08-2012, 04:10 PM
BANNED by Kris

It's not raining up there?
Old 11-08-2012, 04:13 PM
BANNED by Kris

Sorry if I sounded condescending. So many people think that a test light is suitable for exploratory electrical diagnosis. They are not and before I lead someone in a troubleshooting direction I want to know that they are not using one.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:38 PM

Okay, the reading are as follows. B. = 4.99 volts, both a & c read about 1/4th of a volt (.27 v). I checked the connector to grd and all reads good. a 1.3 ohms, b & c both read 55 K ohms. Looks to me like the icp sensor is gone. What say you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFuel View Post
This section of the forum is for '94-97, 7.3L's. Your truck and question is for a '99-03, 7.3L section. Your truck and engine is more powerful than our 1st Gen Power Strokes but with that comes the scariness of all the more electronics that you have that we do not. In this particular case it is inconsequential as our motors are mostly the same.

Ok, locate the ICP and on will be 3 wires, 2 in line and one offset from the others. Now my knowledge is mostly on the OBS Fords so my pin ID may not be the same as yours but the pictures will be the same. The two pins even with each other are the + and - and the pin that is off the other two is the signal back to the PCM. Get three staples and bend one leg of each staple straight. Insert each staple into the connector between the wire and the rubber weather seal and push it in as far as it will go. Start the truck. Using the DVOM touch and record the signal from each staple. Pin B needs to be at least 12v. Pin C is the signal back to the PCM and needs to be at least 1v. Are you getting any Voltage? Snap the throttle, did the voltage on Pin C change?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.