starts and runs great...intermittent low power - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 10:48 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
starts and runs great...intermittent low power

I'll try n keep it short.
I've owned more than 10 of these 94.5-97 "modern classics"...and obviously LOVE them!! .... While I know quite a bit about them and how they work, I am no expert...I just bought this '97 F350 XLT crew long auto with 225k miles.(not the one in the picture...I loved that truck but I prefer a long bed)

I haven't experienced this problem that I am having before and am at a little bit of a loss.

First off it starts like a hot damn, no smoke at all. Simply amazing.
It does take a long time to warm up (longer than any other that I've owned)
It seems like the ebp valve is staying closed for longer than normal, as there is no boost or power for at least 10 minutes of easy driving, I can't pull out into traffic as I would get rear ended!! I should note that there is no audible hiss like most I've had)...Then all of the sudden, she comes alive and runs as good as any that I've owned!!

Secondly though, it will randomly sometimes 30 miles down the road, start to run out of power (seems like no boost), it will have trouble keeping up with traffic and I have to pull over...let it idle for a few minutes, rev it up in neutral, and then i pull out on the road and it will run perfect again!!

Is it possible that the ebp valve is acting up and closing while driving??
I am also thinking maybe fuel pressure sensor??
Anybody else experience this?? Tips and ideas would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 08:16 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OK so I disconnected the two wire connector to the ebp valve solenoid...

I let the truck sit overnight, (approx 55 degrees out this morning)
It fired up right away with virtually no smoke...I let it run for three or four minutes

Then drove up the street in a moderate fashion, it ran great for the first 1/4 mile...then lost power (no boost)

Crawled along at 25 mph (still running smooth but with no power or boost) for about five minutes and then it "woke up" all of the sudden (around the time it came up to operating temp on the guage)

I then drove 75 miles with no issues, stopped for 1/2 hour, got back on the road and had amost exactly the same scenario ran good for 1/4 mile, then fell on its face till it warmed up (keep in mind the ebp valve is disabled)

Faulty map sensor?? HEEEELLPPP please!! and thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.