WEIRD IDLE AND STARTING - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 10:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
WEIRD IDLE AND STARTING

Could someone please post h.p. oil presure and fuel presure at cranking , my 96starts hard when a little cold and does this funny idle at slow idle like running every other cly. or if you drop the throttle quick. has had glow plugs, cover gaskets and harnesses, oil change, runs great other wise. THANKS MUCH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 03:18 PM
BANNED by Kris

You replaced the glow plugs but have you replaced the glow plug relay? Those die too. I've seen cranking HPO get to about 700psi. Not great but it worked. Below 50 the glow plug system is quite important. Below 30, start using your block heater.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the reply! Sorry yes the relay was replaced, I have GP power to VC gasket connector. I have a Snapon 2500 comp., had it on when driving to work & back if I remember right HP pump reading went down to 300# area at idle which I thought was low. I am used to working on bigger and older diesels, just got it in july and was told this is a old problem but got it for a song. It is a 96 f250 1 ton susp. 5 speed EXT. cab 4x4, nice shape for year and area. THANKS ALVIN73
Old 10-09-2012, 07:26 AM
BANNED by Kris

At idle the HPOP should not be reporting less than 600# of pressure (3000# at WOT). Sounds like you've got a weak set-up in yours. If you can find at a wrecking yard a Super Duty take its instead of buying a new one for the OBS. For that matter don't buy one for the OBS at all. A great upgrade is the T500 HPOP from Terminator engineering. Not much more than a rebuilt unit for our trucks. The ICP is a HPOP pressure controller on the drivers side head near the front of the engine. With the truck off unplug the sensor and disconnect the wiring to the ICP. Does the truck run better?
Old 10-10-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALVIN73 View Post
Thanks for the reply! Sorry yes the relay was replaced, I have GP power to VC gasket connector. I have a Snapon 2500 comp., had it on when driving to work & back if I remember right HP pump reading went down to 300# area at idle which I thought was low. I am used to working on bigger and older diesels, just got it in july and was told this is a old problem but got it for a song. It is a 96 f250 1 ton susp. 5 speed EXT. cab 4x4, nice shape for year and area. THANKS ALVIN73
Having the exact same problem, used to be the motor would jump out of the engine bay it starts and has a very low idle any where from 575 RPM to 675. Have replace GP/GPR Driver side UVCH. Can't understand it, the truck did sit for about 11 weeks in the paint shop. Today it was about 45 and a ton of white smoke upon start. Disconnected ICP to see if it helped but didn't.
1996 F350 7.3 PSD XLT CC 8' Bed 4" Turbo Back 262000 miles

Any ideas would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks MoFo
Old 10-11-2012, 05:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFuel View Post
At idle the HPOP should not be reporting less than 600# of pressure (3000# at WOT). Sounds like you've got a weak set-up in yours. If you can find at a wrecking yard a Super Duty take its instead of buying a new one for the OBS. For that matter don't buy one for the OBS at all. A great upgrade is the T500 HPOP from Terminator engineering. Not much more than a rebuilt unit for our trucks. The ICP is a HPOP pressure controller on the drivers side head near the front of the engine. With the truck off unplug the sensor and disconnect the wiring to the ICP. Does the truck run better?
Thanks for the reply, I check the HPOP and had about 1300# cranking, a couple of times when it was around 40 deg. fire up and ran fine, also I think it is IAP is on the scanner that is 0% and and 0 PSI can not find acronnim for it THANK ALVIN73
Old 10-11-2012, 08:27 AM
BANNED by Kris

Sorry, not familiar with IAP?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.