Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

blue smoke

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  85_305 
#1 ·
Well yesterday we bought the truck and used it to pull a f150 with. well it was a 300 mile round trip.. before we went i drained the water/fuel seperator, and changed the oil. Was gonna do a ful filter but had aftermarket cap. So gonna wait to buy a OEM one. Well this afternoon went to start it and was blowing some blue smoke. This is after sitting for about 15 hours. Well i gave it some gas and it revved up but seem to have no power.... still blowing blue smoke. Well it finally got to 2500 rpm and then didn't feel like it had any boost. Well after it warmed up a little, maybe 5-7 mins i gave it gas and seemed like it did the day before. Really boost laggy. wouldn't feel any power til around 2200-2500 rpm.

Question is. Is the boost normal and what could the blue smoke be?

1997 PSD, 208k miles.

Could it just be it being such a turd from stock? Because i wanna do a 3" DP into a 4" all the way back. aa 6637 intake and want to do a TS6 chip.

#2 ·
Blue smoke is oil burning in the cylinders. Take off your y pipe comming off your turbo and look for extensive oil, turbo could be gone. If you hace to wait for higher exhaust flow to spin that turbo before making boost you wouldn't have no low end power. I'd start there

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

#3 ·
well after it idles for a bit to warm up it doesn't seem to have any problem at all. but still the only rpm range i feel the boost actually kicking in is around 2300 rpm. ill take the y pipe off tomorrow and look around a bit. What could cause the leaking into the cylinders? I was gonna try to put some 2 stroke oil in it to see if it'd help.

#5 ·
Sounds like ebpv was engaged. Normal.

well after it idles for a bit to warm up it doesn't seem to have any problem at all. but still the only rpm range i feel the boost actually kicking in is around 2300 rpm. ill take the y pipe off tomorrow and look around a bit. What could cause the leaking into the cylinders? I was gonna try to put some 2 stroke oil in it to see if it'd help.
2300rpms is where these v8's really start taking off. Normal. get a boost gauge of doesn't seem right.

#7 ·
Typical of most diesel trucks, less common rails.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.