Powerstroke stalling after cranking - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 12:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Powerstroke stalling after cranking

Ok, Here is my problem:

I have a 1994 Direct Injection Turbo Diesel, that I purchased new. I have a strange problem. When starting after the wait light goes out, it will start fine. Then when the voltage gauge starts to go to the normal range it jumps back and forth several times before going to the normal operating position. During this the Powerstroke will sometimes stall for a second and then start back by it's self. It will do this more than once at time and not at all others. The voltage gauge will move to the normal range sometimes with no issues and no stalls.

So far this is what I have done:
Checked glow plug relay, working fine, engaging and releasing as it should

Checked all glow plugs, test good, have replaced within 1 year.

Replaced fuel filter

Alternator charging good when truck running.

So please help out what do I need to do?http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/ima...ilies/ford.gif
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2012, 09:47 AM
BANNED by Kris

I'm leaning on the oiling or fuel system being weak. The alt. is bouncing because on startup the GPR pulls a lot of juice and the motor running lower then normal RPM's will throw off it's charging ability. Testing the fuel pressure is easy. On first start of the day have a friend in the truck to start it. You with a dial type tire gauge good to at least 100 PSI climb on top of the motor and hold the gauge onto the schrader valve on the top/back of the fuel bowl. Read the pressure. It's going to bounce a lot so take the high reading and the low reading and average them for your pressure. Ideally you are looking for 65 PSI but anything above 45 will get you down the road. This will waste the gauge. The HPOP will need a tool/gauge made. Have a fluid filled gauge good to 3000 PSI and 3-5' of hydraulic line made to mount the gauge and a 1/4" NTP on the other end to screw into the head. Take a reading. Your local diesel shop will have a scanner that would be able to read these numbers and more but can be on the pricy side. Show up with a case of beer and see if the manager/owner would be willing to run a scan for a minimal fee.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Subscribing to this one

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
powerstroke, stalling quitting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.