97 fuel pump remval, stupid. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 02:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
97 fuel pump remval, stupid.

Hey guys, im in the middle of doing my e-fuel and everything is going great, I got the bowl out ect, but now im taking the fuel pump out.

Im aware that there is a tappet that can fall out and go into the bottom of your engine, a big no-no.

I have the banjo bolt out, all the line disconnected, I removed the two bolts holding the fuel pump in, and turned the engine until I think the cam lobe is up, but its so hard to tell because there is hardly any movement, it seems like every time i turn the engine the pump just shifts, I cant tell if its picking up or not( any better way to tell?)

second, I am trying to be very gentel, so this goes well and nothing falls into the engine, but its really hard to be gentel when the fuel pump is hard to pull out...it doesn't pick right up, its pressed in there and ive wiggled and pulled pretty good and she still hasn't come.

I CANT have that tappet fall. I'm not the kind of person who can have a chunk of metel in my oil pan and be ok with it, and if I have to pull my engine its going to be bad, a lot of wasted time.

so right now im mid process and I just need some help, this needs to go smoothly lol.

thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2012, 05:12 PM

alright, been looking all over the web for solutions/help.

found a bunch of threads in which people have already lost the tappet and are asking what they should do.

also found a lot of threads that people didn't seem to have any problems with it.

I dont know how the fuel pump is, does the tappet stick up in the fuel pump? or does it fall out? and techniques would be awesome.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:29 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The tappet should just stick up in the pump. I did my pump last weekend without issues. Most people said to just turn the engine over by hand using a bar, i said "f that" and jumped the relay to crank it over. It popped it up and i pulled the pump out no problem, the tappet never fell out or even moved.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:35 PM

so it did pop it up? see.... i used a bar and I couldn't really see the pump moving ,it was really annoying because I wanted to see it pick the pump up(confirmation of the cam being up), but it isnt happening.

at this point would you recommend me just yanking it out(carfully) and just hope for the best?
Old 09-30-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csdwarf11 View Post
so it did pop it up? see.... i used a bar and I couldn't really see the pump moving ,it was really annoying because I wanted to see it pick the pump up(confirmation of the cam being up), but it isnt happening.

at this point would you recommend me just yanking it out(carfully) and just hope for the best?
Thats up to you. I just cranked it quickly with the starter and it popped up and the tappet was pushed up into the pump. I also had the same issue where if i was under the truck i couldn't see what was happening, but by jumping the relay i was right there and could see it.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD3020 View Post
Thats up to you. I just cranked it quickly with the starter and it popped up and the tappet was pushed up into the pump. I also had the same issue where if i was under the truck i couldn't see what was happening, but by jumping the relay i was right there and could see it.
alright, well considering how much I messed with it today, ill probably try a little more tomorrow and then if nothing seems to work Ill crank it a little and see if that does anything.

did you jump it for just a split second(just touch it) or did you crank it for a full second.

Just trying to get good results, I find it hard to believe the tappet will just fall out after 190k miles of being in there, but knowing my luck it no matter what i do it will end up in the base.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:23 PM

I used a screwdriver(have one just for jumping Ford relays lol), and just touched the terminals together then backed off, so just a split second. Think i did that a couple times watching the pump until it was up as far as it'd go. So in the end it was prolly 2-3 seconds of cranking total.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:10 PM

well the jumping it with the engine worked great, poped it right out. awesome tip, love it.

ended up turning a peice down on the lathe and making a plug, and bolting a plate over it.

one thing i didn't think through is.....now the plate i made is in the way of my connection to the back of my heads, going to have to do something there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.