Glow Plug Relay - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 11:09 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Glow Plug Relay

Hi all looking for any input. I have a 96 F-350 and she is taking forever to start. White smoke puffing out in engine bay after the first attempt to start. By the third cycle of the key she will fire up and runs great. Replaced the glow plug relay but that didn't seem to do much. One side of relay has the full time 12volts from the battery and when I turn the key to the on position the other side of the relay shows zero volts. Checked the 30 amp fuse #22 and even swithed it with #21 but still no power to the other side of relay. Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2012, 07:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

To check the relay, place your DVOM leads on the two large relay posts. With the key in the Wait-to-Start position (and up to about 1.5-2 minutes after), you will be reading the voltage drop across the relay. Any reading of more than 0.3V drop and the relay is bad. The contacts inside are supposed to rotate a bit each cycle so as to avoid getting burned in one spot. Cheers!
Old 09-20-2012, 10:34 PM

Thanks Patrick. Shouldn't both terminals show power if I test them with the volt meter by putting the ground lead to the battery negetive side and then positive lead to each terminal? Sorry for the late response but I just got in from work.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:41 AM

One large terminal will always be hot. The other large terminal will only be hot when the key is turned to WTS (for about 1.5 minutes). If it has nothing on one, check to see if there is continuity across the small terminals with the small wires disconnected to see if the relay coil is open-circuited. Cheers!
Old 09-21-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Feeley View Post
One large terminal will always be hot. The other large terminal will only be hot when the key is turned to WTS (for about 1.5 minutes). If it has nothing on one, check to see if there is continuity across the small terminals with the small wires disconnected to see if the relay coil is open-circuited. Cheers!
Hey Patrick. The one terminal has no power with the key in the WTS position. There is continuity between the small terminals with the wires disconected.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:33 PM

I should have put this in with the last post: Ok, now with the small wires disconnected and the key in WTS, one wire (not terminal the Red with Light Green Trace) should have 12v on it and the other (Purple with Orange Trace) should be grounded (it should go to ground when the key is turned from off to WTS since the PCM provides the switching to ground). Cheers!
Old 09-23-2012, 11:24 AM

Hey Patrick. I tested the small wires and have zero volts on the red with light green srtipe. The other has no continuity between the negetive side of the battery and the other wire. I checked all the fuses I know of and have not discovered any chewed wires. Any other suggestions? Thanks, Mike

I traced the wires back to the main plug and the red with light green stripe has no continuity from the block to the end of wire. Other shows good. I will try a splice wire tomorrow. Off to work. Thanks

Ok splice wire worked thanks Patrick for all your advice.

Last edited by mike g; 09-25-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.