Another oil leak thread and need some direction/help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 01:45 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another oil leak thread and need some direction/help

I bought a 97 f350 a few months back. It's my first diesel and I'm still getting used to the terminology. Bare with me...

Anyway when I first bought the truck I would only notice a small pool of oil about the size of half dollar under the truck. And it would only make the pool after a long drive.

Now the leak has gotten faster and there are multiple oil spots under the truck and its almost pissing oil out. There is oil covering almost everything under the valve covers on both sides of the engine but nothing on manifolds. The majority of the oil drips from the front cross member. There is oil covering the passenger frame by the shock and on the passenger spring. Some drips off the tie rod and less but some from the oil pan drain plug. I don't see oil in the valley at least not behind the fuel bowl. I fear multiple leaks may be happening simultaneously...
PLEASE HELP THE NEWBIE!
Sent from my ADR6425LVW using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2012, 02:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well what do you wanna know? Clean it up, look for where the leak starts, then let us know. Oil cooler, dip stick tube oring, turbo pedestal orings, EBPV actuating rod seal.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:57 PM

Well I was just kinda wondering where to start looking. I'm getting some dye and ill clean it up sometime this week. It's just odd to me that it is on both sides of engine, passenger spring and frame, and the majority drips right down the front of the engine. Also that there's not really anything in the valley. Thanks for the reply!
Old 09-17-2012, 03:39 PM
Hee Hee, he's doing it...

Is the underside of the hood clean? There isn't a whole lot on the passenger side of the motor that would leak this much. why I ask is I'm wondering if you have a hair crack in the High Pressure Oil Pump hose to one of the heads and it's just squirting over the motor onto the suspension.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:24 AM

No oil under the hood. As stated earlier I need to clean everything up. I would like to do that today but its raining its asss off all day today. I was first thinking a Hpop issue since that seems to be common(like o-rings or something) but the lack of oil in the valley had me looking elsewhere. I might buy an o-ring kit for it regardless.
1. It's inexpensive
2. I like cheap PM (even though its a good bit of work)
3. Taking stiff apart might reveal other issues.
But at the same time I don't like to just throw parts at something hoping to fix a problem. At 270k I should do it just in case anyway.
Does that seem like a smart idea?
Old 09-21-2012, 11:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

oil leak

I also have an oil leak (s)
96 F350
After cleaning the engine, changing the oil and filter, there seems to be something causing a fair amount of blow by right under the turbo...????

also seems to be blow by when the oil fill cap is off AND when the dipstick is out of the tube.

A fair amount of oil comes out and drips from the top of the tranny area....

Any ideas?

No oil accumulation in valley pan, already replaced oil lines 2 years ago (25K miles)

ALSO....the truck is running a bit rough at idle, and idling around 600-650
Old 11-17-2012, 03:25 PM

Well its taken me forever to get uv dye and figure her out. I've been too buisy getting corn and soy harvested(excuses, excuses). Anyway, it looks like most of the oil is leaking from the front of the motor, underneath the alternator and AC compressor. Oil rail? Head gaskets?

I tried to snap pics but the glare is too great.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmMuscle View Post
Well its taken me forever to get uv dye and figure her out. I've been too buisy getting corn and soy harvested(excuses, excuses). Anyway, it looks like most of the oil is leaking from the front of the motor, underneath the alternator and AC compressor. Oil rail? Head gaskets?

I tried to snap pics but the glare is too great.

Hey, getting corn and soy in from the fields is pretty important. I do like my soda and plastic. There are two large HPOP oil rail plugs in the front of the heads that need new o-rings from time to time but if it looks like it is both sides at the same time I would lean on the rubber gasket under the HPOP sump cover.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:44 AM

Thanks for the help big fuel. What do you mean by the sump cover? Sorry terminology is over my head. Also it leaks more oil down the passenger side. A lot more...
Old 11-18-2012, 10:02 AM

No worries, look in this picture on the left side about in the middle for part number 6658. That is the HPOP sump cover. Look down the exploded picture and you will see the rubber gasket (pn 6619). Also note PN 68070, this part is the inspection/access cover to the HPOP drive gear that can also leak oil down the front but mostly passenger side of the block.

This is what the top looks like. Brass/brown thing under the gauge.

In this exploded view find PN 1818186 C1 (look dead center. Then down a little and to the left). This is the HPOP oil plug at each end of the heads. It also shows the o-rings.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.