96 Powerstroke died while driving - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 09-11-2012, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
96 Powerstroke died while driving

Long story, but I bought a 96 7.3 with a 5 speed about two hours ago. Took it for a long test drive, no problems. Bought it, got five miles down the road and it just died. At 60mph the motor just stopped running. When i got to the side of the road, the motor cranked really strong, there's fuel in the bowl and I even tried unhooking the chip. No dice. Luckily, the seller was a stand up guy and came out and gave me my money back. I told him that if he figures out what the problem is I'd still consider buying it.

7.3 with 243k but the motor was completely rebuilt 3000 miles ago. No throttle response when it was cranking with ether. Any idea on what could possibly be wrong with it? I think its something electronic, maybe the ECM or CPS. Thanks guys, any help would be much appreciated.
conman365 is offline  
post #2 of 8 Old 09-11-2012, 05:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,627
Thanks: 7
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Was the tach moving when you were cranking it?

Did the CEL come on?
ianstew is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 09-11-2012, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianstew View Post
Was the tach moving when you were cranking it?

Did the CEL come on?
The tach was moving. CEL was on and off. Came on when it died and sometimes while it was cranking but not starting. We got some ether and sprayed it and it weakly ran while it was being sprayed. Even ran weakly under its own power but would't stay on. No throttle response whatsoever.
conman365 is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 09-12-2012, 07:30 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fort Bragg, NC/Buff, NY/Midlothian, VA
Posts: 5,630
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by conman365 View Post
Long story, but I bought a 96 7.3 with a 5 speed about two hours ago. Took it for a long test drive, no problems. Bought it, got five miles down the road and it just died. At 60mph the motor just stopped running. When i got to the side of the road, the motor cranked really strong, there's fuel in the bowl and I even tried unhooking the chip. No dice. Luckily, the seller was a stand up guy and came out and gave me my money back. I told him that if he figures out what the problem is I'd still consider buying it.

7.3 with 243k but the motor was completely rebuilt 3000 miles ago. No throttle response when it was cranking with ether. Any idea on what could possibly be wrong with it? I think its something electronic, maybe the ECM or CPS. Thanks guys, any help would be much appreciated.
That was very nice of the guy. Thats awesome. Why was the motor rebuilt. Who rebuilt it.

Why would there be throttle response in a dbw heui injected truck? There wont be any.

More info would be helpful. What were you doing when it died. Did you test drive the truck before buying? What were the gauges doing when it died? Is there diesel in the tank (without trusting the gauge)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by conman365 View Post
The tach was moving. CEL was on and off. Came on when it died and sometimes while it was cranking but not starting. We got some ether and sprayed it and it weakly ran while it was being sprayed. Even ran weakly under its own power but would't stay on. No throttle response whatsoever.
Ether's a great way to split a block in half.
85_305 is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 09-12-2012, 07:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,627
Thanks: 7
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'd try a cps, cheap and easy before delving into anything else.
ianstew is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 09-12-2012, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_305 View Post
That was very nice of the guy. Thats awesome. Why was the motor rebuilt. Who rebuilt it.

Why would there be throttle response in a dbw heui injected truck? There wont be any.

More info would be helpful. What were you doing when it died. Did you test drive the truck before buying? What were the gauges doing when it died? Is there diesel in the tank (without trusting the gauge)?



Ether's a great way to split a block in half.
Drove it 30 miles before purchase w/ no problems. Not exactly sure why it was rebuilt. It was rebuilt by the owner and gone over by a reputable powerstroke shop before installed. It ran like a top before it died. Gauges didn't do anything when it died. Tach just went to zero and the CEL came on. Definitely diesel in the tank, there was fuel in the bowl. Tried both tanks too.
conman365 is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 09-12-2012, 04:57 PM
WNY Biodiesel Co-op
 
greasyF250's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Orchard Park New York
Posts: 898
Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
unplug the fuel bowl heater, any blown fuses in the distribution box under the hood.

2000 F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 7.3L LB 4X4 100% home brewed Biodiesel
ZF6 6SPD trans
Zoo Dad Mod
DP F5 Tuner
Wicked Wheel
AFE Intake
4" straight exhaust with 5" tip
Isspro 3 Gauge Pod
285/75/16 Cooper ATP on factory 16's
Banks Big Head
298K
greasyF250 is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 09-13-2012, 04:02 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fort Bragg, NC/Buff, NY/Midlothian, VA
Posts: 5,630
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by conman365 View Post
Drove it 30 miles before purchase w/ no problems. Not exactly sure why it was rebuilt. It was rebuilt by the owner and gone over by a reputable powerstroke shop before installed. It ran like a top before it died. Gauges didn't do anything when it died. Tach just went to zero and the CEL came on. Definitely diesel in the tank, there was fuel in the bowl. Tried both tanks too.
Thats not like a motor to just up and go. I'm wondering why it didn't die out on the 30m test drive. It's so hard to diagnose a truck over the 'net, and even harder when you cant walk out to it and do what we ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasyF250 View Post
unplug the fuel bowl heater, any blown fuses in the distribution box under the hood.
^Good one. If the bowl heater grounds out then the truck wont start and gets real pissy. I'm curious to know what cps it's using and when it was replaced also.
85_305 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome