96 Powerstroke died while driving - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 04:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
96 Powerstroke died while driving

Long story, but I bought a 96 7.3 with a 5 speed about two hours ago. Took it for a long test drive, no problems. Bought it, got five miles down the road and it just died. At 60mph the motor just stopped running. When i got to the side of the road, the motor cranked really strong, there's fuel in the bowl and I even tried unhooking the chip. No dice. Luckily, the seller was a stand up guy and came out and gave me my money back. I told him that if he figures out what the problem is I'd still consider buying it.

7.3 with 243k but the motor was completely rebuilt 3000 miles ago. No throttle response when it was cranking with ether. Any idea on what could possibly be wrong with it? I think its something electronic, maybe the ECM or CPS. Thanks guys, any help would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2012, 05:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Was the tach moving when you were cranking it?

Did the CEL come on?
Old 09-11-2012, 05:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianstew View Post
Was the tach moving when you were cranking it?

Did the CEL come on?
The tach was moving. CEL was on and off. Came on when it died and sometimes while it was cranking but not starting. We got some ether and sprayed it and it weakly ran while it was being sprayed. Even ran weakly under its own power but would't stay on. No throttle response whatsoever.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by conman365 View Post
Long story, but I bought a 96 7.3 with a 5 speed about two hours ago. Took it for a long test drive, no problems. Bought it, got five miles down the road and it just died. At 60mph the motor just stopped running. When i got to the side of the road, the motor cranked really strong, there's fuel in the bowl and I even tried unhooking the chip. No dice. Luckily, the seller was a stand up guy and came out and gave me my money back. I told him that if he figures out what the problem is I'd still consider buying it.

7.3 with 243k but the motor was completely rebuilt 3000 miles ago. No throttle response when it was cranking with ether. Any idea on what could possibly be wrong with it? I think its something electronic, maybe the ECM or CPS. Thanks guys, any help would be much appreciated.
That was very nice of the guy. Thats awesome. Why was the motor rebuilt. Who rebuilt it.

Why would there be throttle response in a dbw heui injected truck? There wont be any.

More info would be helpful. What were you doing when it died. Did you test drive the truck before buying? What were the gauges doing when it died? Is there diesel in the tank (without trusting the gauge)?

Quote:
The tach was moving. CEL was on and off. Came on when it died and sometimes while it was cranking but not starting. We got some ether and sprayed it and it weakly ran while it was being sprayed. Even ran weakly under its own power but would't stay on. No throttle response whatsoever.
Ether's a great way to split a block in half.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'd try a cps, cheap and easy before delving into anything else.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_305 View Post
That was very nice of the guy. Thats awesome. Why was the motor rebuilt. Who rebuilt it.

Why would there be throttle response in a dbw heui injected truck? There wont be any.

More info would be helpful. What were you doing when it died. Did you test drive the truck before buying? What were the gauges doing when it died? Is there diesel in the tank (without trusting the gauge)?

Ether's a great way to split a block in half.
Drove it 30 miles before purchase w/ no problems. Not exactly sure why it was rebuilt. It was rebuilt by the owner and gone over by a reputable powerstroke shop before installed. It ran like a top before it died. Gauges didn't do anything when it died. Tach just went to zero and the CEL came on. Definitely diesel in the tank, there was fuel in the bowl. Tried both tanks too.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:57 PM
WNY Biodiesel Co-op

unplug the fuel bowl heater, any blown fuses in the distribution box under the hood.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Drove it 30 miles before purchase w/ no problems. Not exactly sure why it was rebuilt. It was rebuilt by the owner and gone over by a reputable powerstroke shop before installed. It ran like a top before it died. Gauges didn't do anything when it died. Tach just went to zero and the CEL came on. Definitely diesel in the tank, there was fuel in the bowl. Tried both tanks too.
Thats not like a motor to just up and go. I'm wondering why it didn't die out on the 30m test drive. It's so hard to diagnose a truck over the 'net, and even harder when you cant walk out to it and do what we ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasyF250 View Post
unplug the fuel bowl heater, any blown fuses in the distribution box under the hood.
^Good one. If the bowl heater grounds out then the truck wont start and gets real pissy. I'm curious to know what cps it's using and when it was replaced also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.