Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

95 Diesel surging and running rough.. help

3K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  jeffygunt 
#1 ·
Ok.. im new here and new to the powerstroke (but not new to automotive repairs) , so please stick with me.

I bought two weeks ago a 1995 F350 with 240k mls on it.

The Truck was warm , when i bought it and it really runs good.

Problem One:
When you start it up, it badly surges , somewhere between 400 to 900 rpm. it will not straighten out, until you hold the throttle at about 1200 rpm for 5 to 10 seconds and then it runs fine.
As soon you turn it off, and start it again, same thing. It is not tempearture related.

Problem two :
I knew from the PO , the Glowplugs did not work. I changed the relay, tested the system, now the plugs work, but the wts light does not. But i do know, the plugs work... i guess a bad light bulb ?... this did however not fix any of the other issues.

Problem three:
The last several days, the Truck runs rough when first started up and you are past the surge issue. It feels like, it is missing on some cylinders.It also shifts rough, when it does this. after about 10 to 15 minutes, it runs good, and then fine for the rest of the day.

As for some additional info : I drove the truck a little around town and short trip on the interstate.. run fine, as well as when i picked it up.

It does not smoke,white or black at startup and normal driving. If you accelerate hard it smokes black as expected.
when it first runs rough and you stomp on the pedal, you see a little blue/ white smoke, but i would think this is normal, considering the age / mls.

The oil and filter were supposingly changed every 3000mls, fuel filter last month.(so he says).. oil was low, when i checked it and a little black.

The only thing not stock on the Truck is a bully dog programmer with the 6 position switch. PO ran it in position 2 and says it runs fine. i tried different positions and it does not make any difference to the problems mentioned above.

Also, i do not have a scan tool, but am able to do trouble shooting myself, if it does not involve a scanner.

Any help is greatly appreciated

See less See more
#4 ·
Looks like, no one can help here, so i just keep posting some progress:

today i changed all injector o-rings.. seems to runs a little better during startup , but still surges.

everything below the valvecover is in good shape...

what now ? :dunno: :confused:

#8 ·
i did checked the icp sensor today and it was wet inside the connector. cleaned it out and noticed some difference in the idle.

went ahead and got another sensor.. not new though.. from a friend and now the idle is great..

BUT.. it still surges upon every start up

#12 ·
Try ipr orings,mine did the same and i changed them out but i also cleaned out my screen between fpr and fuel bowl,they like to plug up with an almost fuzz kind of stuff.To do both is a quick $30 fix.And it should be done anyways cause if it hasnt been done they will both go soon.

#13 ·
My money is on the Bully Dog. My TS chip does this in one position only but its a hell of a ride till she calms down again. Pull the Bully Dog and start the truck again.

#14 ·
im thinking of rebuilding the IPR vs buying a new one..anyone dissagree on rebuilding ?
Where is the best place to get an icp sensor and an o-ring set for the ipr, besides ebay ?

i do have o-ring sortiments at home.. won’t they work ?

About the Bullydog chip.. its doe the same in all positions. as per bullydog, position 1 is for stock.. no changes.. is it realy no changes ?

Since this is a 6 position, with the last one as high idle and 2 to 4 for power settings, what setting is recommended for daily driving ? i currently have it in 2, says +40hp ?

#15 ·
I understand that you have the same problem in all positions. Rule number one in looking for a problems around here is to remove any chips or flashes and retest. The chip is asking the trucks PCM to operate beyond its' stock settings including messing with the values and expectations of the entire high pressure system. PCMs and chips do odd things the longer they are together. Removing the chip and the time the PCM is off the systems power will dump all of the learned programming and settings and it'll be back to square one for the PCM. I'm not saying that this is an absolute answer to your problem, just one of the steps in figuring it out.

I normally run around in my daily driver setting. I think that's 70 over.

#16 ·
Unplug your exhaust back pressure valve and see if that clears it up,a plugged tube can do the same thing when cold and wont let the valve open or close all the way.It can cause those surges until it warms up.Does it clear up after its warm and do you have normal power after it warms up?

#17 ·
hers a free thing to try.pull out your ipr,unthread it and you will see a small needle in it,clean it all out and carefully put it back together so the needle doesnt fall out,it was the final fix for me and worked great,best of all its free,just a lil labour.hope it works for ya,gd luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.