missfire on acceleration (video included) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 06:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
missfire on acceleration (video included)

I have a '97 F250 with the PSD (of course) and 243,xxx miles. I've owned the truck for about a year and it's been an excellent, reliable daily driver back and forth to work, as well as pulling trailers on weekends.

On my way home from work the other day, the truck was running fine... I had to stop at a red light. When I went to take off, the truck missed for a second, then died. It immediately started right back up and went to doing the misfire in the video below. I managed to limp it a couple of miles back home, seems to run fine as long as you keep it under 1/4 throttle or roughly 2,000 rpm. Soon as you put your foot into it a little though, it starts misfiring. As you can see, as soon as it starts missing, the check engine light comes on. It will continue missing for as long as you keep your foot on the gas. Once you let off, it does as you see in the video. I can hear what seems to be a relay or solenoid of some sort click under the hood at the exact second that it smooths back out at idle. There is no excessive smoke or anything like that when this happens, just rough running. Does the same thing weather you are actually driving or just revving in neutral.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here is a video I tossed up on youtube of what the truck is doing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2012, 09:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

What is the dtc?
Old 09-22-2012, 08:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

my truck did a simular missfire when my injector pressure regulator went bad not sure if thats whats wrong with your but figured i would throw it out there
Old 09-23-2012, 03:35 AM
Transmission or Injectors

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sounds like an under valve cover harness is cooked, or you have a poor connection to one injector
Old 12-05-2012, 04:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thought I would give an update, I never did figure out what was causing this. I left the truck sitting for about 6 weeks without starting it. When I did finally start it again, it was extremely hard to start and when it finally did it was smoking and chugging like hell, sounded like it was running on about 3 cylinders. It stalled after about 10 seconds, and I immediately restarted it. It then started right up and ran perfect. I've put about 3,000 miles on it since and not had any more problems, though I figure the issue could return at any time.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

engine missing 7.3 PSD

hello everyone, I have the same issue with my 1995 E350 PSD as in the video that F250powerstroke1997 posted, I just bought the AE ford inhanced scanner hoping it could read the dtc for the check engine light that is on but no codes are shown { went to the clear codes button and the engine dies every time}, went to the live data and noticed that both engine {EOT} and coolant temperatures are reading -40 when the temperature gauge is in the normal range {van warmed up} also the MAP reads 0, so I think it is something in common to the sensors but that my guess, hoped for a code to direct me.

any and all thoughts on where to check next would greatly be appreciated, I am assuming that my 1995 has been reflashed to 1996 but also noticed that the AE onboard test result only allow the battery voltage to be registered what is up with that?

Thanks guys
Old 12-09-2012, 06:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

More likely than not i would say it has low ICP that would be why the check engine light is coming on. But listening to it run i really sounds to me like the fuel pressure is low. The fuel pressure regulator can get stuck ocassionaly I.E. if a piece of trash got stuck in the valve. Usually when it is the engine will idle ok but fall on its face when its put under a higher load than idle. I have also seen this be intermittent as you have stated. The thing with that is a fuel pressure issue should not cause the engine light to come on as the ecm does not monitor fuel pressure. Without knowing the code it would almost be impossible to tell for sure. I would start by checking the connector on the IPR valve and make sure it is not coming apart or has spread or burnt connection.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks Jbthomp for your insight

I did forget to mention that the 1995 7.3 PSD is stock, but I did have to replace the fuel pump due to a low pressure side leak at the pump {diaphram drain hole was dripping}, I replaced it with a airdog 165 mounted on the frame rail just behind the passenger doors, I removed the stock fuel filter/regulator/heater/and senor unit also to free up some area in the engine valley since the airdog has the filter/water seperator and regulator built as a unit, I took both banks return fuel lines to a T connection and utilizied the stock scrader valve to bleed and test the fuel pressure whick by the way is 55psi idle to 70 psi, the airdog has its own fuel return line so the stock fuel return line is abandoned.

this 7.3 has 166,000 miles on it, I think that low for a diesel, my VW TDI golf has over 250,000 on it and still running strong.

I still am wondering about my {$400} AE ford enhansed scanner not picking up the DTC and seeming to be of little help in trouleshooting, heck I don"t think it will do an injector buzz test for my 1995, but the AE system is new to me, I"ll have to do more investagation before I comment on AE scan system

thanks everyone for your help
Old 12-10-2012, 08:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwillson View Post
Sounds like an under valve cover harness is cooked, or you have a poor connection to one injector
My first thoughts as well. MAke sure the plugs are connected good and tight, any slight connection problem and it will cause a slight miss or worse like what you are seeing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.