please help, crank no start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
please help, crank no start

Good afternoon guys & gals,

I am new to this forum so if I posted this in the wrong place in sorry.

I am working on my dads 97 Ford F250 7.3L. He had been having starting issues (longer than normal cranking time, uneven once running) for a few weeks before this event. He had the truck facing uphill overnight, when he went to move it he said it cranked longer than normal & ran uneven once it fired off. He was able get it move around the front of the house then it died. He changed out the filter (bowl was full but fuel seemed black), still no start. It was a few weeks before I came over.

I started running checks, when cranking it sounded like it wanted to catch & was smoking. I found 45 psi of fuel pressure at check port, high press oil res was full, oil level was correct, tach & oil pressure rising during cranking. I checked voltage at the high pressure oil sensor & found .7 volts (I think this is a little low) during cranking. I then ome checked the valve cover wiring harnesses. Found that only 2 out of 8 glow plugs were in range. I ome checked all injectors from the IDM & found all wiring was correct. I started unplugging each injector set, one at a time & found that when 7/8 were unplugged the truck would not catch at all & the smoking stopped. With any other injectors unplugged it made no difference in the way it cranked & smoked. I removed the IDM. I was able to install the IDM in a known running truck of the same year. With my dads IDM the other truck would only smoke a little & not start. So I told my dad that is what he needed.
Over a year later he still handn't got one ordered so with my mom complaining about the truck still sitting in the driveway. I ordered it myself. So this weekend I got the reman IDM in & came over to fix his truck. I also pulled the valve covers & fully inspected the injector/glow plug harness & replaced all the glow plugs. I also ome checked the valve cover connecters. After getting the covers back on & the IDM installed I cranked it over, I saw that the batt voltage was dropping & it was slowly cranking. Found one failed battery with a load tester. I replaced it & also replaced the fuel filter.
Its still a crank no start, but now its not smoking or even trying to start. I installed the old IDM & still the same thing, cranking with no smoke at all.
I started rechecking everything, I now found that I'm only getting .5 volts out of the high pressure oil sensor (.2 engine off, climbs to .5 cranking). I checked for voltage at the IPR during cranking, its 0.0 while cranking. If I remove the connecter & turn the key on I get 12 V. I have to assume that this is correct. 12 volts shuts the IPR 0 volts lets it run at full pressure, or so I have read......I removed the IPR & checked it out, disassembled & cleaned it. It all moves freely & the pilot moves freely. I reinstalled it & again tired to crank truck, still a no start. I pulled the valve covers off to inspect the upper injector o-ring & injectors for oil leaks. I was not able to see any "large" amount of oil leaking from anywhere.
So now I'm stuck, I don't know where to go next. Does this sound like a dead high pressure pump? Should I replace the IPR first? is there something I am missing?
I don't have any access to a scan tool for this truck. Unless someone near Port Angeles want's to make a few easy bucks! ...
Please any advise would be great!!!
Thanks again for taking the time to read all this!!!
Lance E.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2012, 11:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Port Angeles, Wa?

My thought is that your IPR is dead. Many times someone tries to rebuild and more times than not they are not very good. Its usually best to buy a warrantied reman or new.

I've heard good things about this as an inexpensive code reader that will read OBS codes :BlueDriver - Bluetooth to Vehicle
Old 09-02-2012, 11:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the reply!
Yep, I live in Seattle but the truck is in Port Angeles, WA.

I think I will replace the IPR. If that doesn't fix it then am I looking at a failed high pressure pump?

As for a reader I do have a scanner that will pull codes but I can't get any live data or run any tests.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:25 PM

Why? Every scanner that is capable of reading this obd (but actually not OBD) codes can run tests.

Outside of the IPR, that would be my guess. I am pretty sure it is exactly what an IPR that is bad does though. Since you have no code reader you can make a manual hpop gauge.

0-3500 liquid filled gauge, 40 inch long section of 3000 psi working, 12k burst hose. #6 female jic connected on other end. Also need a 90 degree #5 oring fitting on one side, #6 JIC on the other.

There should be a 5/8 plug (Actually are several, but pick an easy one) in the oil rail near the valve cover. Remove that and install your gauge.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I shouldn't have said "scanner" I mean I have a OBD code reader. I has some live data on OBD autos but it won't read any data from this truck.
I am going to grab some test fittings from work this week and come back and do some testing next weekend. I want to block off each bank one at a time and see if I get a difference in cranking pressure.
Just so I know for sure, if I replace the IPR and varafie that I am getting 0 volts during cranking. If I still have no pressure in the oil rails on a mechanical gauge the the high pressure pump is failed?

Last edited by volvotech; 09-02-2012 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-03-2012, 10:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

good morning,
It was suggested to me that this may be a injector o-ring issue? Any thoughts on this? I would be talking about a middle o-ring leaking HP oil into fuel.
Thanks again!
Old 09-03-2012, 10:27 AM

Yeah. A black fuel filter usually means algea in the tanks, or more likely a leaking or missing injector oring.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:08 PM

Check your # 22 fuse also .This feeds the IDM and the fuel bowl heater and when this tiny element decides to short inside the bowl ,it disables the IDM . Just a thought if you aren't getting fuel or smoke during start up .
Old 09-03-2012, 02:55 PM

Very good. I didn't even think about that one actually.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.