What's your trucks temp? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 01:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What's your trucks temp?

I have a 95 f250 7.3
So far we have changed waterpump, thermostat(205), has plenty of antifreeze.
Truck runs great but in this Texas 106degree heat truck is running at the "L" in normal, I shot the temp sender and it said 220, top hose 189, heads read 206.
Is this normal? Is gauge messed up.

Please bare with me as this is my first diesel truck and I'm very green to all of this.

If it makes any difference truck has 274k miles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2012, 06:14 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
That doesn't sound too bad but I'm not sure where you got a 205 thermostat. IIRC, the 94-95's had a different water pump and a 203 with a 195 being introduced in 1996. Aftermarket ones were 203 from Dieselsite and 180 from TE.

The factory gauge is just a glorified idiot light. Your running at L and not all that hot, I think it's just the gauge that's screwed. Start looking for a broken or shorted wire, not sure which way will cause it to peg on L.

Don't have a good gauge in my 95, but my 00 will run about 190-200 cruising empty in this heat and jump to 200-220 in traffic. That's measured off a small line that feeds my coolant filter and using a 203 thermostat. I am thinking of trying at 180 when I do my next flush, not sure if they make one for the old style pumps but Joey at TE would know.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just picked it up at oreillys, the thermostat housing gets upto 240-250, what other issues could be making it run so hot? Next thing to change is fan clutch or go back to its a head gasket.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:13 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
250 is way too hot. I would pull the radiator and have it checked for flow, it might be clogged up especially if your old pump's impeller broke and sent pieces downstream.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:19 AM
Hee Hee, he's doing it...

Did you do the swap because it was running hot or is it running hot after you did the swap? When you changed the fluids did you go to a shop that can put the system under vacuum or in your yard? You didn't say if your truck is 4x4 or 4x2 (talking about truck rake) but I know that with my 4x2 I have to lift the front of my truck a couple feet to force all the air out of the heads, engine running. Air trapped in the heads will cause overheating and eventually a blown head gasket.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

did the swap because it was getting hot, the pump had play at shaft so decided to put new waterpump and thermostat and thermostat filler neck since it was pitted real bad. truck would also build a lot of pressure in upper hose and reservoir. if it makes any difference, it is a 95 but has the newer cooling system. i also found that the truck had nothing but water in system so im sure it was boiling.

after pump and thermostat and antifreeze the pressure has dropped, but now is still running warm.

i did the work in driveway and its a 4x2 and i did not lift front end or anything like that, just pulled upper hose off and filled reservoir to try and bleed.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, added a autometer sport comp water gauge, after some highway driving and street driving truck gauge shows "m" and autometer gauge shows 230 degrees, I get 189 on top hose 228 on filler neck and 205 on stock gauge sender and 190 on autometer sender.

I did swap thermostat for a Motorsport ford one 203,

How do these numbers sound?

Did do a block test and it passed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.