No start after fuel line / PCM replacement - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 04:19 PM
...kind of looks homeless

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No start after fuel line / PCM replacement

Truck in sig

Replaced lines off fuel bowl 6 months ago. In the process of doing so, some worn insulation caused a short at the connector on the back side of the HPOP which, in turn, shorted out and shot my PCM. 6 months later I have a new PCM and harness for the HPOP connector. Started up like a champion and was quickly reminded that I still had a fuel leak. Bummer. Replaced the return line from the FPR to the driver side head.

Here's where it gets sticky.

A couple days before I got the line replaced the truck would start up fine and run a little rough, but would SPRAY fuel from the ruptured return line. I started the truck in an attempt to make room behind me for other cars. It started up fine, but ran rough for about 5 seconds. Immediately began running violently rough then died. Both of my tanks were significantly low (from the leak) so it is possible that I ran it dry.

Now it won't start. I can smell what I think is a little incomplete combustion and I haven't seen any white smoke from the tail pipe so I think I'm starving for fuel. I've got a bunch of really great guys helping me out here on the ORG, and I haven't had the time to run all the tests they have suggested. I still need to put a diesel soaked rag around my filter and see if I can fire it up. Some of the guys are starting to think IPR or HPOP.

If anybody has any thoughts I'd love to hear them. I'm in a bad way and starting to feel in over my head. Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2012, 06:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Start with the simple stuff before you hit the panic button.

-Put a new CPS in it. Rule that little bugger out before you do anything else (and no, tach bounce does not mean that it's working properly).
-Did you address the wiring/short issue that started all your problems?
-Have you THOROUGHLY inspected your entire wiring harness? This includes UVCH so pull the valve covers. Where there is one short, there is often another right?
-Are you getting fuel? Have someone crank it over while you hit the shrader valve on the side of the FPR.

Get that stuff done and we will go from there
Old 08-01-2012, 10:42 AM

Sounds good. I'm hoping to be able to get to that stuff today on my break.

I bit the bullet last night and ordered an aeroforce interceptor. I'm so bad with electrical diagnosis I figured I could use a good scan tool. From what I have read it looks like it's going to be indispensable.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:38 PM

Got the issue fixed. I've been meaning to get back to this thread and wrap it up for conclusion. Just to be safe I decided to throw a new CPS at it. At just $27 I couldn't really justify NOT replacing the original CPS. After recharging the batteries overnight it cranked for about 15 seconds and then started chugging a bit and then fired right up. Ran rough for just a second but then smoothed out. Not sure if the CPS was also bad, but it definitely didn't hurt. Thinking there was just some air still in the lines and it needed to work itself out. Took a LOT of cranking though, so cool downs for the starter took most of the time. Thanks to everybody for all their help.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:10 PM

Glad you got it sorted out
Old 08-07-2012, 01:47 PM

Thanks JJ. Me too. What a headache.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:52 PM

Yeah can be for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.