Tearing Into It - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2012, 09:58 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tearing Into It

Well, time has come to tear into my 94.5 PSD. Had some strange and intermittent issues with not running well, no power and hard starting. Dragged the bleedin' thing home on a trailer and parked it. As of several weeks ago, no start at all. So it has now been sitting since the first week of November-2011 and it's time to figure it out. HPOP is full and stays full, the tach does jump a bit when attempting to start though I do have a new CPS that I figured wouldn't hurt to install.

When all of the problems began, I had CPS sensor and Low Voltage codes and the ALT/CHARGE light flashed briefly. That light didn't stay on though. Also had an Exhaust Backpressure Valve code.

First question. Is there any additive that I can use to eliminate, or at least reduce the likely algae in my fuel system? Should I just drain the whole system and start fresh? That's gonna suck if so.

Next question. I am already planning on oil, oil filter and fuel filter changes as part of the diagnostic process for the no start. What other filters/parts should I change to avoid or minimize potentially buggering up the injectors with said algae?

I know it leaks fuel from the fuel bowl and has a few oil leaks in the common spots. I planned to rebuild the bowl and use the good seals and hoses. I'm already planning to pull the valve covers since there are leaks on both sides from there. Also looking at new hoses for the turbo to manifold connections. Never did see above 12 PSI on my boost gauge. Any other suggestions while I'm in there? New injector o-rings?

Next question. How does one go about doing the actual "Buzz test"? Do I need specialized equipment? A specific scan tool?

Truck is a 94.5 dually, five-speed crew cab. Ran super until it didn't. Has approximately 200k on it.

Thanks guys.

By the way, anybody in the Bremerton/Port Orchard, WA area that would like to get greasy in exchange for some help on their ride sometime, you are welcome to PM me... Just sayin'...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2012, 10:06 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
There are plenty of guys in that area which i am sure might help you in one way or another... Have you looked into the local WA/OR chapter (club)

The Cascade Coal Rollers - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
CCR Chat Thread
Old 07-26-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six0~Stroker View Post
There are plenty of guys in that area which i am sure might help you in one way or another... Have you looked into the local WA/OR chapter (club)

The Cascade Coal Rollers - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
CCR Chat Thread
Yep, I went to the forum and went through some of the threads there so I know there are guys on here that live right in the area. I wasn't sure if there are other guys like me who haven't joined any specific group but do live in the area. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:28 PM

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.