Turbo Removal - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2012, 04:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo Removal

Hey guys, Ive been battling my truck today, I got a good deal on a turbo off ebay that only "has" 15k miles sense rebuild, look a hell of a lot better then mine, and I figured I would swap them out, but so far its been a nightmare.

TheDieselStop.Com - www.thedieselstop.com

That is the tutorial I am trying to follow, I have a few problems, I am having an awful time getting the EBPV bolts out, the easy to access one was my first attack,note I sprayed everything down in PB blaster a few days before I attempted any of this. Make a long story short, I spend a good HOUR on this one little 8mm bolt, I could tell it was going to strip, I went easy on it tapped it with pressure and did everything I could and It finally stripped, I said screw it and figured I would try the next one. That one felt exactly the same so I gave up while I was still ahead, I dont belive these will come out, maybe If i heat them? is that what im going to have to do?

Second problem, I do NOT belive that you can get the drivers side lower uppipe(were the manifolds hook to the turbo) off with a universal, I cant for the life of me get it on there straight, and I call BS, what am i doing wrong?

everything is pretty much a battle, I think my problem is everything is by Nature a PITA to get on and undo, but my stuff is rusty ontop of that.

I got the two forward pedistool bolts out and havn't even attempted the back ones, I dout that will go well..

Im lost, and basically at a standstill....how am i going to get that stupid 12 point 8mm stripped bolt out...wth...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2012, 04:38 PM

after re-reading the inscruction, i realize the drivers side collector bolt you dont use a universal, I spent a good 20 mins messing with one before I realized it was impossible, know that makes a lot more sense.

my 2 problems are stilll

-stripped/stuck(3) EBPV bolts, these need to be removed to get at the pass side rear pedistol bolt and collector bolt.

- they say its really hard to see the drivers side rear pedistol bolt, I see a larger nut on a stud( bigger then 10mm like the front two) I havn't attemped that yet.

when I get that stuff figured out, off with the old, on with the new. Takes a while, first time for everything

thanks everyone!
Old 07-01-2012, 12:52 PM

worked on the truck again today for a bit, this time i got the torch out.

heating/cooling it worked for the top bolt, but the back one was hard to get the torch on and i didnt want to ruin anything, pulled the downpipe out and got a nice new craftsmas socket on it, and put some strain on it and it just stripped....so now I really have to figure something out.

Got everything undone except (2x) 8mm ebpv bolts, the pedistool bolt and collecter bolt that the ebpv hides.

tomorrow Im going to try to weld something onto the front one, see if I can get that off, and if so maybe try and torch the back one off with a mirror, and see if I can get it off, once the turbo is on the bench Ill have no problem getting the studs out. But let me tell you they are stuck.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:11 PM

Good luck!!! I was thinking of pulling mine off.....
Old 07-02-2012, 06:57 PM

Got the turbo off tonight, I think I droppd one of the collector nuts, the 15mm ones.

I also want to know if I can put my truck back together with the orings and re-use them or If its worth waiting with my truck off the road to get new ones, or maybe I would be able to get them at a local hardware store? anyone know the size?

The housing all looked good on the old turbo the compressor wheel was just really screwed up, I think the core is good and I will be able to rebuild it.

I gutted the EBPV rod and plan on tapping the rod hole with 1/4 NPT plug, is that a good method?

I will have more questions Im sure, thanks again everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.