Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

New guy from washington. I have a question

974 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  hollister25073 
#1 ·
I have never owned a diesel before so keep that in mind if i end up asking stupid questions.
I just bought this truck, its a 96 F-350 xlt crew cab/auto tranny with just over 200k on the odometer. I was under the impression that was not much for a diesel. Is that true? Paid $5800 Good deal? Seems to run good. Came with brand new 37" Swamper radials too.

Also it smokes quite a bit in the morning or when it hasn't been run for a few hours, smoke looks blueish white. Cant see any smoke after a couple of min. Is this a serious issue?

No mods that i know of except the air box and i think the cat/muffler has been removed.

#2 · (Edited)
The only stupid questions are the ones not asked....that's what my dad used to say anyway.

Lots of trucks go over that mileage if they are taken care of.

BTW, check out the WA Chapter here: (might find some guys local to you)
The Cascade Coal Rollers - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

#3 ·
#4 ·
run a good diesel additive and good engine oil and that will get rid of the smoking issue. Mine smoked on start up when i got it and after a few oil changes and then switching over to rotella the following year and running a additive smoke is gone.

#5 ·
If its heavy smoke it could be injector o rings does it run smooth and welcome I'm down here near Vancouver

#6 ·
It might be a glow plug relay. My truck has a bad stock relay, and the first start of the day, doesn't matter the temp, is smokey for a minute or two.

#7 ·
You are maybe a half an hour from me post some pictures. Don't worry about the smoke on the first start, as long as it is not excessive its all gravy... Also 200k could be barely getting broke into or it could be on its last legs not trying to scare you but some people let there trucks idle for long periods and that adds up and if yours was neglected by any means or idled it could have a lot of blowby, if it was maintained and not beat to hell like most around here you dont have to worry about 200k it'll go another 300k miles and probably has zero blowby. I didn't even want an OBS from western washington I drove to southern southern Oregon for mine!

#8 ·
Here you from seven three?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#10 ·
Shut up Eli it was auto correct as always

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.