Turbo Charger Oil Leak - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 07:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo Charger Oil Leak

Brand new to the forum, but I have a bad feeling this will not be my last time here. Let me start from the beginning. I bought a 1995 F350 ext cab dually diesel last year for pulling my camper. It has 125,000 miles on it. Truck is super clean and I only gave $2000.00 for it. The problem is, during my first trip with the truck I was coming home from a camping trip and my wife noticed some smoke coming from the back of the truck. We stopped to find the entire underside of the truck was covered in oil. We were an hour from home and I wanted to make it back so I could work on it. We would stop every so often to make sure it was full but it was getting worse.

I took it to the car wash and soaked it in Simple Green to clean it off. The leak was coming from the Turbo. I pulled it off and found a huge crack in the body of the turbo where the oil travels through and back down to the engine. I decided to go with a reman unit. I paid $980.00 with no core because of the crack in mine. I installed it two weekends ago only to find the new one was missing the plug out of the back, fixed it, then the exhaust servo cover blew off. I never found the snap ring and not sure it was ever on there. Lost 4 gallons of oil on the floor figuring all this out. fixed those issues and started it again only to find the sensor that is on the turbo pedastal is leaking as well. Finally decided to take the turbo back to the place I bought it from. They gave me another reman turbo. Plug was in this one and snap ring was secure this time. Put it on and the sensor is leaking on this one as well. I am at my witts end with this thing.

My question is 1. is this common? 2. Am I missing something, maybe something is wrong with my truck to make this thing leak, maybe too much oil pressure? Truck is bone stock no mods at all. 3. What is the sensor that is on the turbo? Tried to look it up but no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2012, 08:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The sensor is actually a solenoid used to let oil into the Exhaust Back Pressure Valve actuating cylinder built in to the pedestal. It has an o-ring seal where it plugs into the pedestal. I've rarely heard of the solenoid leaking at the pedestal. Cheers!
Old 06-21-2012, 08:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Feeley View Post
The sensor is actually a solenoid used to let oil into the Exhaust Back Pressure Valve actuating cylinder built in to the pedestal. It has an o-ring seal where it plugs into the pedestal. I've rarely heard of the solenoid leaking at the pedestal. Cheers!
Thank you for your response. It seemed kind of strange that I would get two in a row leaking from the same place. Hence why I wondered if something may be causing excessive pressure at this solenoid?
Old 06-22-2012, 10:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

There shouldn't be anything since it's just regular lube oil pressure. Cheers!
Old 06-22-2012, 10:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Feeley View Post
There shouldn't be anything since it's just regular lube oil pressure. Cheers!
Thanks Patrick. I notified the place I purchased the turbo from and they are going to have me take the truck to them and see if they can figure it out. I will update you with the findings
Old 09-15-2012, 01:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

ok sorry to bomb your thread but i think mine is leaking in the same place... just trying to figure out what was wrong with mine, and stumbled upon this. Is that o-ring just something i can replace my self? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.