Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

random rough idle and occasional white smoke

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  BigFuel 
#1 ·
I have a 94.5 f350 and recently have been getting rough idle at start up and occasionally at stop signs. Rough idle goes away if I rev it up a little. Also will get white smoke at higher rpms. Truck has extremely high mileage but has always been well cared for. It's never let me down and I'd like to keep her running top notch. Any ideas? I replaced the fuel filter like 12,000 miles ago but will probably replace it again here soon along with cleaning out the fpr. I did the fpr bb mod a few months back and it really woke her up.

#2 ·
#4 ·
It would if you had a damaged head/block as the coolant isn't compressible in the cylinder and has to "steam" off. This will give off a sweet smell to the exhaust and will stutter the engine. Alternatively, A cracked injector cup could be leaking fuel into the coolant and allowing that injector to pulse with less atomization of the fuel into the cylinder again causing a stutter and fuel in the coolant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.