To swap or not to swap..... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 02:22 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
To swap or not to swap.....

Ok guys here's the scoop, I have a '95 7.3 turbo powerstroke with 99832 miles on it. My oil lines on the fwd drivers side of the engine were leaking a bit on start up then would slow to a drop every so often through out the day. I wasa told by the ford dealer in my area to just keep an eye on them and that they are expensive to replace, so thats what I did. Well over the course of 3 1/2 weeks ago(while I was deployed) the truck was run for a day 2 1/2 gallons low on oil. The truck kept shutting down and my wife thought it was just outta fuel untill a friend came along to get her going the last time and found the oil so low. Now.....it has been a week since I got back and had the oil changed and topped right to a hair over the full line on the dip stick. I now notice a miss at idle and a more pronounced miss at about 1200 -1500RPM.....and the wierdest thing.....the oil lines only leak 3 drops on start-up now (over the whole 17-18min warm-up time.) Any-one have ANY ideas? Is this a opportunity to swap injectors or is it a major issue?

Last edited by PoppaSmurff; 06-06-2012 at 02:25 PM. Reason: spelling/grammer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2012, 02:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i dont know but it sounds like an injector oil leak to me, i cant think of anything else that could wipe out 2 1/2 gallons of oil. which would put oil in your fuel, which could possibly cause a miss. im sure someone will chime in and correct me if im wrong
Old 06-06-2012, 02:36 PM
Premium Member

I'm sorry, the iol leak was from the oil lines on the side of the block, I'm not getting any cross contaimination as far as I can tell. IT has been almost 400 miles since the oil change and havent noticed ANY loss of oil now.....just the miss.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:39 AM
Premium Member

update...

Ok I am using/losing about a half quart of oil in 150 miles of city driving. I do have some small drips under the truck but this I thought was normal for a hard worked truck. She used to pull a large goose neck trailer. I have found that my miss is getting more intermitant as time goes by. now it idles ok on start-up, then if I drive it REALLY easy then the miss will be slight and disapear at every stop light. If I dive it hard the miss will be very pronounced and not go away at a stop light. I have 45-55psi fuel pressure at an idle and 600 miles on a oil and filter change.

Last edited by PoppaSmurff; 06-09-2012 at 05:56 AM.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:43 AM

does it seem to have normal power? when my dads truck started using oil, it wasnt long and it seemed doggy. turns out the injector o rings were bad. which probly dropped the oil pressure that drove the injectors and like i said it also put oil in the fuel which does not help performance
Old 06-09-2012, 05:48 AM
Premium Member

Yes normal power, and its got less than 100K on the clock, I guess I'll start pulling injectors and looking for bad o-rings. Anything eles I can check while I'm in there?

Last edited by PoppaSmurff; 06-09-2012 at 05:54 AM.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:57 AM

well thats good, it has low miles but the rubber o rings are still 20+ years old and could be getting brittle. I dont know where else to point you ... I wish someone else smarter than me would chime in does it run the same no matter what chip setting you use? do you have a scantool? it may be unrelated to the oil, possibly the CPS???
Old 06-09-2012, 06:06 AM
Premium Member

the chip settings will determine how long it takes before the miss kicks in of course, the higher the setting the sooner the miss. I only have a cheap Actron auto scanner plus. Well this all started after the truck had been run about 50 miles (two days to and from work for the wife) with the oil level so low. I'm guessing that a couple injectors got all chewed up from lack of oil. The wife did say the truck died and she just switched tanks and fired it up and kept driving. Well i have purchased the "Factory OEM 1995 Ford F-Series Power Stroke 7.3 Liter Direct Injection Turbo Diesel Supplement and the October 30, 2003 Bulletin No. 03-21 Booklet (Contains all TSB's up to Oct 2003)" and it's due to be delivered today so that should help with my tear-down.

Last edited by PoppaSmurff; 06-09-2012 at 06:09 AM.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:12 AM

i dont know if running them low on oil will hurt them much or not, you would think it would just quit if the oil level was too low, but i dont know..if it was beat up injectors i wouldnt think it would change based on chip setting, maybe your HPOP is what got beat up and now it is weak and you get a miss when you run it hard and the injectors start starving for oil.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:18 AM
Premium Member

YA thats what I was thinking also....but I was afaid of admitting that. Well I guess I can check the out-put of the pump. I Guess I should find a replacement pump anyway and possibly a set of injectors?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.