97 Fuel Problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 05:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
97 Fuel Problems

I have a 97 7.3L with 150,000 miles, yep that's right I'm the original owner! About 2 weeks ago when I would start it after it had warmed up, it would miss for what seemed like 4 or 5 motor rotations, then it would kick in and run fine. It only did this when it was warm and I was restarting after a short turned off time, never cold. Then this weekend same conditions and it wouldn't start at all! I finally got it running, after waiting a few hours but then it was sputtering, missing, smoking and I could barely limp it from the street to the driveway, no power at all! I thought maybe the fuel filter but didn't think it was but replaced it and didn't help. I'm reading about camshaft position sensor, sounds like a cheap try, any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! I've never really had any major problems until now but hopefully this won't turn into one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2012, 06:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If it's having a hard time starting when Hot, many times the o-rings on the Injection Pressure Regulator (IPR) valve have gone bad. Hot oil will bypass the o-rings easier than thicker, cold oil and not allow sufficient HP oil pressure for starting. Cheers!
Old 06-04-2012, 04:26 AM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i agree with patrick. it sounds like a HPO problem. as the oil warms up it thins and can leak past the orings
Old 06-04-2012, 04:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys, is that something that I would see oil leaking out somewhere because I don't see that and like I said now even cold it doesn't run at all or if it does it chugging like a cold freight train just starting up. I changed the oil not to long ago and it's still very clean on the dip stick and doesn't look like it has any fuel in it so I'm hoping it's not a valve or blow-by or even a leaking injector building up fuel in cylinder and leaking by. Honestly I'm a pretty good mechanic on gas engines but because I've never had to work on this motor, I'm looking at it thinking....wow where do I start troubleshooting....I know it's not the distributor/spark system...at least I can eliminte that!!! I did change the cam shaft position sensor today, since I've read so much about them here and it was only 20 bucks, no change! I'm pretty convinced it's outside the motor, or wishfully hoping, just have to figure out what! Thanks for any more help!!!
Old 06-04-2012, 04:27 PM
the baconator

read up on the HPO system. the truck has no injection pump it uses oil pressurized to 2500+ psi to fire the injectors. there is a reservoir on the top front of the motor. and the pump slightly behind and below that. the IPR (injection pressure regulator) regulates to oil flow in the pump. if the truck is hard starting hot it could be because the hot (ie thinner) oil is bleeding past the IPR and not allowing it to build up enough pressure and you need to wait till to oil cools off to start the truck
Old 06-04-2012, 05:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Wow, thanks Terry! I'll try to go read up on that. Is the oil in the reservoir the same as the engine oil or is that something seperate? I had no idea and I've never done any maintenance to it, maybe that's my problem. I had no idea, guess I'll be reading. Thanks!!
Old 06-04-2012, 05:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

It's the same oil. And it's why it's critical that your lube oil be topped up, and in good condition, doing double duty as lubrication and hydraulic fluid.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:35 PM
the baconator

yes it is all the same oil. the oil pump, on the front of the crankshaft send oil up to the HPO reservoir and through the block, filter oil cooler, etc. the oil in the HPO reservoir goes through the HPOP, the oil rails, the injectors and then drains under the valve covers and back down to the pan. PM bill (alberta 7.3) he has the PDF service manuals (i thought i had them bookmarked but i do not) that are very detailed and helpful lots of pics and diagrams.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys, I've been doing some reading about the HPOP and IPR and something tells me that's really where it is. I've had a fuel leak in the valley area and something tells me maybe it's in the wiring after all I've read! Time for some more troubleshooting tomorrow and might just start stripping it all out to replace fuel lines, inspect harness and look it all over real close. I'm going to see if I can get those manuals from Bill too. Guess after 15 years it's time maybe to park it for a little while and pull it all apart. Great help so far I'll let you know how it turns out!
Old 06-11-2012, 05:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well I had to come back and say thanks for all the help and confess I guess how stupid I am! This thought never crossed my mind and I still can't get my head around how I did it but there is no other explination except for me.....but I guess these things just aren't designed to run on unleaded!!!! Yep gas not diesel!! Guess the good news is it doesn't appear to have done any damage that I can see yet. Siphoned out about 18 gallons, changed the filter, drained the fuel bowl and seems to be off to the races again....what an idiot!! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.