Is there any difference between AT and manual crankshaft? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 09:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Is there any difference between AT and manual crankshaft?

I've found a guy near me (relatively) who has a '97 OBS for sale. His has a bad trans, mine has a bad engine. I'm considering buying his, then swapping the engine (and any other good parts) from his to mine, then junking the leftovers.

One problem: His has the auto trans, mine has the ZF5.

Is there any difference between the crankshafts of the two engines, or can I simply take the flywheel, etc. off mine and put it on his engine, then stuff the good engine into my truck? I've heard that the auto trans equipped engines may not have the proper bore for the pilot bearing that the manual trans requires.

Since I am going to have the swap done by a shop, I could have them swap the cranks as well, but then I could get into a whole rat's nest of bearings, clearances, and extra shop charges. Money's tight, so I'm trying to do this as skinny as possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Sooner is better, because I'm going to go look at it later this week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012, 09:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Engine is the same. Fellas swap ZF5s into auto-tragic trucks all day; engine swap should be no problem.

Looking at your old thread, did you determine for sure that it's an engine internals problem? Not injector cups or the oil cooler or some other external failure contaminating the coolant?
Old 05-30-2012, 09:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the uber-fast reply - and an answer that's just what I was looking for! Fantastic. I was going to contact LuK to get a replacement pilot bearing, but I just recalled me that the pilot bearing goes in the FLYWHEEL, not in the crank, so I shouldn't have worried. It's been a few years since I did that mod, so I forgot.

No, I didn't determine for sure that it's engine internals, but I don't think it was either injectors or oil cooler. While that would explain the oil in the coolant, it wouldn't explain the EXTREME loss of power and awful clattering noises. I am able to start the engine, and it does run on its own, but it cannot move itself without either some severe clutch slippage, or dropping down to 4LO. Evidenced by the last drive I took (from the gas station to the diesel shop), its max speed is about 30mph, no power for anything more.

I was unable to source a compression tester to rent or borrow; I should just break down and buy one. Think this one would survive? 12 Piece Diesel Engine Compression Tester I may order that one this weekend if it looks like it'll suffice.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by n9viw View Post
I was unable to source a compression tester to rent or borrow; I should just break down and buy one. Think this one would survive? 12 Piece Diesel Engine Compression Tester I may order that one this weekend if it looks like it'll suffice.
Almost. None of the Horrible Fright testers have an adapter for our trucks; they say they're for "Ford 7.3", but not the PSD specifically. Options (along with the HF tester):
* Mityvac pre-built adapter:
Amazon.com: Mityvac MVA5605 Glow Plug Adapter for Ford: Automotive Amazon.com: Mityvac MVA5605 Glow Plug Adapter for Ford: Automotive
- a Jackson and change plus shipping
* Build your own - HF Compression Tester Mod PSD - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums or http ://www.diez elbomberz .com/ford-powerstroke-99-03-7-3l/76948-homemade-compression-adapter.html (note: you'll have to do that last link yourself, replace the z's and remove the spaces...) - a few dollars less, but some work to assemble.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Fan-flippin-tastic! You're a Godsend, pogue. There's a HFT near me, I'll hit it on my way back from checking the truck out if they have one in stock. I can get the M10-1.0 adapter, hose, and F2F 1/8NPT from the local auto store. I'll get the compression values, and at least be able to know a little more about WTF happened to the engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.