Holy Oil Change Batman!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2012, 03:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Holy Oil Change Batman!!

So I had similar problems that I am reading in threads here.

Shaking truck, power loss, low of fuel mileage and hard to start once warm on long trips.

I called my local Diesel hot rod shop in the Seattle area and talked to the service manager. He listened to all my problems and gave me a surprising diagnosis. He said I need an oil change!!

He told me how important the oil in these diesel motors is and how it doubles as hydraulic fluid for the injectors. He said that the special anti-foaming additives in diesel oil do break down and once the oil starts foaming it will cause all of these symptoms. He also said that when the oil does go bad and symptoms start you have change the oil twice because the engine holds about a gallon of oil in the heads and turbo and the oil still in the engine can contaminate the new oil.

So I did just that. I drained the bad oil and dumped the oil out of the filter and filled it up with new oil. Then I went for about a fifteen minute drive and then drained the oil again and installed a new filter.

I must say the truck is running better and better each day. The power is back and I'm getting a ton of extra miles on my fill ups. Also the shaking engine at idle is so faint its easy to ignore and it might even be how they all run.

So before you head to the shop for testing make sure you change the oil, and if your not sure when the oil was changed last (like mine) change it twice.

Last edited by GreMonte; 05-23-2012 at 05:08 PM. Reason: picky nerds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2012, 04:01 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Ok the diesel shop guy is kinda goofy.

There was no need to double up on changes like that.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Oil does not work this way on diesel motors in general. Some Cat and IH motors are this way.
Read - How HEUI works and best to convert
Old 05-22-2012, 05:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Ok the diesel shop guy is kinda goofy.

There was no need to double up on changes like that.
Difference of opinion I guess.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Oil does not work this way on diesel motors in general. Some Cat and IH motors are this way.
Read - How HEUI works and best to convert
I read it and it looks like it does work this way in my diesel. Not sure if you were correcting me about Cummins and Duramax diesels being different??
But from what the shop guy said and the results from following his advice tells me that MY truck hates old frothy oil
Old 05-22-2012, 07:51 PM

In your OP you said that the svc mngr said that the oil in diesels is important because it is used as hydraulic fluid for injectors.
This is only for DI 7.3s and 6.0s, as well as other motors, but Cummins and Duramax are mechanical injection.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
In your OP you said that the svc mngr said that the oil in diesels is important because it is used as hydraulic fluid for injectors.
This is only for DI 7.3s and 6.0s, as well as other motors, but Cummins and Duramax are mechanical injection.
I drive a 97 7.3 powerstroke and I am posting to a powerstroke forum. I could really care less about the oil in a Cummins or Duramax. I was sharing my general experience not starting a debate on how other brands of Diesels function. When I need to gather information about Cummins or Durmax diesels I would not be looking on a powerstroke forum.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:40 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Damn someones got their panties in a twist.

My point about the doubling up on oil changes however stands. Absolutely no reason to do that.

Had your service guy known how the HEUI system works he would understand that the oil in the rails and HPOP gets changed every time you blip the throttle pedal.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Had your service guy known how the HEUI system works he would understand that the oil in the rails and HPOP gets changed every time you blip the throttle pedal.
Well, while we're pickin' nits, the pedal isn't a "throttle"....
Old 05-23-2012, 05:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Damn someones got their panties in a twist.

My point about the doubling up on oil changes however stands. Absolutely no reason to do that.

Of course the guy running the diesel shop has no idea how a 7.3l powerstroke works. I am certainly regretting trying to add some content to the site instead of just lurking. I'll go back to lurking and let you diesel nerds argue about the little stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.