Need help troubleshooting - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2012, 10:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Need help troubleshooting

Well here is the scoop. 96 f350 CCLB 4x4 auto, 150k and all original as far as I know. On a cold start up after it has sat overnight the truck will shake, miss and blow white smoke. After it is warm all of those symptoms go away and it starts and will drive fine. I do have a TS Performance chip, after it is warm if I put it to stock settings and rev it in nuetral or park it will run up to 2500 and start to miss smoke and wont rev over 2800. Put the chip in any other setting and it will rev up to 3000 no problems. It has a new cam sensor, new filters and fluid.

I have tried removing the chip, same problem, tried unplugging the ICP sensor truck only shifted harder, the sensor portion on the IPR is loose on the valve but seems to be normal from what I have heard. Fuel pressure is 68psi at idle. I do have new injector o-rings I need to install but this acts more like a electrical issue. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 08:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Nobody has had a similar issue?
Old 04-30-2012, 09:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I haven't read anything either way about this, but could our PCMs have a "not moving" or "not in gear" rev limiter, keeping you from revving over 2800 while parked? What happens when you put your foot in it, say, on an on-ramp, with the chip set to stock?
Old 04-30-2012, 01:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It does it in park or nuetral. I wouldnt be overly concerned but it starts missing and blows a bunch of white smoke once it finally gets to 2800 it will rev like normal up to the 3400 rpm redline. If the chip is on it will rev like normal. Also it does have more power with the chip but nowhere near the claimed 75 100 or 140 hp that TS claims. I just wonder if it is a weak IDM or some sensor that is not throwing a code. I am not totally up to par on powerstrokes so I apologize if I sound ignorant. Can o-rings cause a issue like this? I would think it would miss at all times if it were the o-rings.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:08 PM

is this only on a cold start-up ? if it doesn't do it when warm, you probably need gloplugs, or a gloplug relay.....
Old 04-30-2012, 07:17 PM
Tennessee Powerstrokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL' OutLaw View Post
is this only on a cold start-up ? if it doesn't do it when warm, you probably need gloplugs, or a gloplug relay.....
Could also be bad of sticking injectors. White smoke denotes raw unburned diesel, but you already know that i am sure. I would suggest a buzz test to rule in or out bad injectors.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

On start up when it is cold it will stutter and shake the whole truck like it has a couple dead cylinders, blow all kinds of white smoke. Give it 60 seconds and it is fine no smoke idles great. Now after it is warm it will not rev past 2500 without blowing smoke and missing, it will slowly climb in rpm to 2800 then come out of it and rev to redline just fine. When I switch the TS chip to any other setting than stock it will rev like normal, will still stutter and blow smoke on start up if it is cold whether the chip is on or not.

The glow plugs should not be cycling after the truck is up to temp. Glow plugs only kick on during cold starts and initial warm up. I am going to tear the injectors down when I replace the o-rings and check for worn barrels and plungers. I dont have the software to do a buzz test. I guess I am hoping for a electrical problem since with a flip of a switch the problem goes away, at least after the truck is warm. dont really have $1500 laying around to replace injectors.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:10 PM
Tennessee Powerstrokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93oilburner View Post
On start up when it is cold it will stutter and shake the whole truck like it has a couple dead cylinders, blow all kinds of white smoke. Give it 60 seconds and it is fine no smoke idles great. Now after it is warm it will not rev past 2500 without blowing smoke and missing, it will slowly climb in rpm to 2800 then come out of it and rev to redline just fine. When I switch the TS chip to any other setting than stock it will rev like normal, will still stutter and blow smoke on start up if it is cold whether the chip is on or not.

The glow plugs should not be cycling after the truck is up to temp. Glow plugs only kick on during cold starts and initial warm up. I am going to tear the injectors down when I replace the o-rings and check for worn barrels and plungers. I dont have the software to do a buzz test. I guess I am hoping for a electrical problem since with a flip of a switch the problem goes away, at least after the truck is warm. dont really have $1500 laying around to replace injectors.

I feel your pain. My truck was doing the exact same thing on start ups and would miss like a gasser if you got on it at all. #2 and #5 injectors cost me 1,600, I bout my truck with 27K and it always started kinda weird, but it got worse with time. Oh and it was at 102K just out of waranty....gotta love that. I know we are talking kinda apples and oranges with the difference in motors, but a diesel is a diesel in some respects.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:11 AM

did you test your glo plugs to see if you had some open circuit ones? all it takes to make it do that is one or two open gloplugs...... all it takes to check is a decent ohm meter....do a search for how to check them.....

you can do that first, it doesn't cost anything....
Old 05-01-2012, 08:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The glow plugs do not operate once the truck is warmed up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.