96 psd seems slow - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2012, 04:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
96 psd seems slow

Ok just got back from our first camping trip with the new camper and new truck. 1996 cc lb 4x4 193k auto 3.55's. Camper is 35' travel trailer 8600+ pounds empty. I owned a 96 cummins and now the powerstroke and seems that the trans shifts differently that the cummins, seems to not really move from a stand still like not engaging. Anyway on the highway it does ok, but had to keep it in drive as it would not stay in OD.(would down shift) Is this normal? I know it is a heavy trailer am I asking alot of this truck? Would 4.10s be better? I sort of thought it is kinda sluggish off the line but it is alot of truck to move. How can I get a base line of what it should be? I don't want to start messing with things if it doesn't run right (upgrades). Maybe that is the way these older trucks are so what is the biggest bang for the buck on power upgrades? Thanks for any help or info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2012, 04:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The cummins is an inline 6, has a different torque curve than the V8 DI PSD. The Trans is going to shift different because that 12V has an extremely low RPM band. I think personally 3.55's are a little to high, youll probably want the 4.10's for better pulling power. But You could also try a few bolt on's like a 4" TB Exhaust, Tymar Intake to start along with a 6 Position chip. From there you can do Reg Return System, Injectors, Turbo etc. If it was my truck Id start with the intake and exhaust and a 6 Pos Chip, Then see from there.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:09 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Your trans may be coming up on a rebuild. But yeah these trucks arent exactly rockets out of the hole even unloaded. Also towing in OD is rough on them due to it shifting alot. Id recommend turning OD off while towing
Old 04-29-2012, 06:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I guess that makes sense I did notice that it seems to make power in higher rpm range than my cummins it seems. I did test drive a one before the one I bought and it had banks monster exhaust and the intake done and I thought it was quite a bit faster off the line.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:24 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Probably had 4.10s. I have had trucks with 3.55s, 4.10s, and 4.30s. The 3.55 trucks are dogs until about 1600rpm but the 4.10 trucks will shred tires off the line if you catch it right. the 4.30 truck was just stupid low power
Old 04-29-2012, 06:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My cummins had something like 3.42's I think. I know it wasn't 4.10s. I guess I am not totally used to this truck yet, I have had it about month and half, I had my Cummins 12yrs. Also miss the coil spring front end, this thing rides like a lumber wagon, any fix for that?

Kanuck, I just read your definition of acceleration, that is awesome.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:35 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Well one option is doing an RSK (rear shackle kit) and use super duty springs. That helps a lot so I hear. Could do an 05 and up axle swap. It converts to coil springs but its a decent amount of work.

Thanks, I read it from time to time just to stay humble to real power lol
Old 04-29-2012, 07:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Does the superduty springs lift the truck at all? I am all for lifted trucks but I would like to keep this as a tow vehicle for my toys and lift the toys instead. I wouldn't mind a inch or two in the front. I will have to look into it.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:30 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

it all depends on how worn they are or what ones you get, lots of guys around here have more info on it than i do
Old 04-30-2012, 06:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

the biggest problem you have is too much weight and not steep enough gears.....7500 lbs truck
8500 lbs trailer, and 3.55's ?????

AIN'T HAPPENIN !!!

first, put gears in it....then jerk the injectors, trade them for some stage I's, along with an IC, a TS chip W/ custom tunes...
lose the cat and muffler, get a 3 in round downpipe, and a tymar intake, while you have the thing apart would be a great time to do E-Fuel also...

and you'll have twice as much power, and good gearing....

don't ask me how I know this.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.