Rough Idle problem finally fixed! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2012, 10:35 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rough Idle problem finally fixed!

My truck has idled rough for the past 8 months. When I say rough, it never sounded like it was missing or anything like that, but the RPMs would fluctuate slightly and it would just feel like a vibration that would come and go. I searched all the forums over and over, and put in a new CPS, ICP, cleaned my EBP tube and sensor, cleaned the FPR screen, new fuel filter, air filter...etc. You name it, I did it.

I'm sure it's out there, but I never found anyone talking about the EBP sensor causing a rough idle. Today I unplugged it and took it for a test drive. Not a single hiccup. Couldn't even feel the motor running.

I just wanted to post this so that maybe other people will find it and be able to fix the annoying vibration at idle issue. All the other things that I replaced did help in other areas such as acceleration and fuel mileage, though, and all of them can cause a rough idle, so if the ebp sensor doesn't fix your problem try doing those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 11:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Good to know, i'm about to tackle a little "miss" and rough idle here soon.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mines running idleing with a miss too. Where's the EBP sensor?
I need to replace my fuelpump I think, there is fuel in the valley on top of the motor. I put on the 6637 filter, new fuel filter and opened up my exhaust, no cat or muffler. Still idles rough but when you stab the throttle it smooths out and runs strong. Shop that rebuild my tranny said injectors were good that it was probably something internal with one or more of the cylinders being bad.
Has 336k miles on it.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:49 PM

Same problem ebp huh I should try mine has been kicking on after it has been warm which is really goofy. Can I just unplug the turbo one or is it actually the signal to the pcm that's screwing the idle up? And the rough idle is also the "miss" that I hear on the driver side "ish" its kinda hard to tell over the diesel noise.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The Exhaust Back Pressure (EBP) sensor is near the High Pressure Oil Pump (HPOP) Reservoir on the top front of the motor (the EBP has a tube from passenger side exhaust manifold going to it). This is the one you want to unplug to see if it runs differently). Cheers!
Old 05-22-2013, 05:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Here's a great picture tutorial on how to fix it
Old 05-23-2013, 04:10 PM
Hee Hee, he's doing it...

That is a decent write-up but the EBP on the OBS is on the other side of the HPOP sump cover. Works the same way but just a little different position than the SDs in the pictures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.