Fried idm? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 08:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fried idm?

Need some help here, please.

I have a (California) '97 F250 4X4 automatic with 230,000 on it. Was throwing the glow plug/ground codes for awhile, so I saved up and ordered glow plugs, the under valve cover harnesses and valve cover gaskets from Tousley. The truck was starting to chug/surge like it had a miss or a big cam when idling (no input on throttle) either in or out of gear; so I also ordered a cps and ipr while I was at it. This past weekend, I installed everything and took it for a test drive. Not sure why, but on the test drive it blew out the turbo pedastal o-rings. I replaced those and while doing the work also gutted the turbo pedastal (was leaking from the actuator) and did the CCV mod. Put it all back together took it for a 20 mile drive. It seemed fine, but I could still feel a little chugging/surging and thought it might be air in the lines. I cleared the codes and was going to drive and monitor it.

I started it up after work today and it was chugging really bad. I let it idle and it died. Was not able to restart it.

My tach and oil pressure gage move, the wts light comes on, there is no smoke coming out of the tail pipe, the fuel bowl is full and fuel pumps out of the shraeder valve while cranking it, the valley in the engine is clean and I am getting the P1316 code.

From what I have read on here, I think I am looking at a new idm. Can I get an amen from anyone so that I can justify spending another couple hundred bucks on my beast? Thanks fellas...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 08:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry, forgot to ad...my fuses look good and for good measure, I pulled the bowl heater out and put in a new filter. Oil has only about 1,000 miles on it.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Any insight would be appreciated...
Old 04-09-2012, 05:17 AM

not sure, but...

dont know enough to know what your problem is, but if it is your IDM i would NOT use auto computer exchange!! i had to get 3 from them before one would work and it fried with in a week! just my .02
Old 04-09-2012, 02:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the heads up. I am having a mobile diesel tech come and run a diagnostics check on my truck. If it is the idm, can anyone recommend a good replacement? I have read good things about Swamps... Any other trustworthy replacements? Thanks...
Old 04-09-2012, 02:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Best bet to determine if you need an IDM, find anybody with a 7.3(OBS or SD) and swap in their IDM. If it runs better, it's the IDM. If it runs the same, then its not the IDM.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:30 AM

i honestly cant tell you where the one i have now came from, I had taken the truck to the shop for a slew of problems and he replaced it at that time. If you replace it be sure to mount the IDM to the cab before reinstalling the plug back into the IDM, per my mechanic!!!
Old 01-21-2013, 12:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Its been a long time since i had a obs, can someone remind me where the idm in the engine bay? I have a lot of the same issues.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:23 PM
Full A-Team Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95strokerpaul View Post
Its been a long time since i had a obs, can someone remind me where the idm in the engine bay? I have a lot of the same issues.
Driver side fender, towards firewall, 3 bolts
Old 01-21-2013, 01:40 PM

You don't need to pull the bottom bolt off all the way, only loosen it enough to lift the idm off of it. Top to need to be removed. I'm kind of in the same boat. Last thing to check is idm and I can't find anyone to swap with. I'm about to bite the bullet and buy a swamps regardless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.