hard to start '97 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 07:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
hard to start '97 7.3

It was brought to me saying the glow plugs were bad, tried to crank it the next morning, tested the gpr which was good, so i started replacing the glow plugs, of course the last one in the driver side head broke off, kept playing with it but couldn't get it out, so i pulled the head, knocked it out and put the head and new hg back on.. i put it all back together and i noticed a fuel leak from the top sensor (1 wire) on the fb.. replaced the sensor, and its still not wanting to start right away.. my hpop reservoir is staying full overnight, and when i go to start it, the first few times it would crank for 10 seconds, shut it off, crank again and it seemed like right after the gauge build oil psi it fired right off and runs good.. but today i cranked it, the gauge went up and it still took awhile to finally bust off..i started to think, oil pressure since when the gauge build psi it fired, but now that it did that im not sure anymore, but if it was fuel wouldn't it kinda hickup and blow some white smoke when it finally started?? oh its a 97 with 120k btw, and i replaced both gaskets and the glow plug/injector harness's.. and with only 120k i wouldn't think the hpop would be bad, and i dont know much about the fuel pump, not much of a 7.3 guy, just trying to help this lady out.. plz help i washed it today so i'll check for more fuel leaks in the morning in the valley but i didn't see any today.. just trying to figure out which way to go.. I just bought a new scanner today so i'll look at the oil psi and i'll open my drain while someone is starting it and make sure its got constant pressure..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.