Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

97 7.3 no start

3K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Stankfanger 
#1 ·
Here is what happen I turned the truck off in a drive thru and tried starting it right back up. I let off the key to soon and it didn't fully spin over almost like it kicked back and it wouldn't start. I got pushed off and drove home. No start when I got home. Batts test good. It's clicking in the area of the starter relay at the pass. side fender, how do you test them if they go bad? Any thoughts on this one?

#3 ·
Hammer on the starter even after driving it home???

#4 ·
If it is clicking when you are trying to start it then your solenoid isn't operating correctly. If your batteries are good and putting out the proper power then check all your cables and grounds. Gently tap the solenoid or simply replace it.

Your description of the issue slightly confuses me. By no start and clicking you mean the motor isn't even being turned over by the starter right?

#6 ·
Tap,tap with a hammer on the starter and it worked. Thanks guys.

#8 ·
Must have been a fluke to get it started last night with the hammer. Got in it tonight, no start. The batts needed replaced anyways. They were five years old and if left sitting for more than 3 days and not charged it wouldn't start. 2 new batts and no start. You guys have any experience with starter relays or solenoids? Meaning how to trouble shoot other than with a test light and or jumping across it? Click, click is all i get. It's hard to do this by yourself. Thanks in advance!

#9 ·
Be careful! With 2 batteries any shorts caused by diagnosing starting problems will generate severe burns instantly and possible battery explosion.
Take off all rings, watches and jewelery and where eye protection. Don't try and jump the stater motor solinoid... too much current!
There are 2 solenoid's.
First is on the fender near batteries.
Second is on the starter it does two things. 1st it pulls the Bendix into the flywheel ring gear. 2nd after meshing Bendix into ring gear the electrical contact end of solenoid are closed, powering the starter motor.

Fender solenoid can be checked with test lamp or volt meter, when key in start position. One side of the heavy gage wires is the battery feed the other heavy gage wire goes to the starter solenoid.

Carefully check all the wiring and connectors as these trucks are getting old...
If fender solenoid checks out then you need to take the starter to a rebuild shop for repair or tune up.

#10 · (Edited)
Roddy thanks for the advise. Yes, I took my my ring off. I've seen what it can do before. I'm off work today and will check the starter relay on the fender and the solenoid on the starter. My guess is the starter motor is fine. I have no experience with these starters...Can the solenoid be replaced?

#11 ·
I dropped the starter, bench tested it and the bendix comes out but it doesn't spin over. New starter will be here by 4. :)

#12 ·
Ahhhhh, the sound of a new starter buzzin' over :) Thanks guys for all the input!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.