Weird sensor issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 09:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Weird sensor issue

OK guys this one has me stumped. 96 F250 7.3l only mods are: fuel pressure BB mod. Added a glow plug LED indictor on the dash. Rough Country Add A Leaf leveling kit to front. Accessory reverse/work lights in back. EGBP is unplugged. Otherwise bone stock with 172,296 miles. I am up in Northeastern Wisconsin so I am running Power Service Fuel Supplement to stop any fuel gelling issues. Did oil and filter last week. Started truck, runs good. Next day I start the truck, let it warm up for about 5 minutes, put it in reverse step on throttle and back up about 5 feet and the truck dies. Starts right back up, put it in reverse step on throttle and truck dies. Restart, put it in drive step on throttle and truck dies. Restart and let it idle. Truck is idling fine for a couple of minutes then quits (just quits for a split second) and starts. Idles for a few minutes then quits and starts. Like shutting the key off and on real quick. Here is where it gets weird. Seems like a loss of fuel to me so I started checking sensors related to fuel. Unplugged IPR no change, next unplugged the - I think its called ICR on the back side of the HPOP, no change. Unplugged the Fuel Filter Restriction Sensor on the side of the fuel filter housing and truck runs great. OK that's odd so I get a new fuel filter, install, reconnect restriction sensor truck does the same thing. Unplug fuel filter restriction sensor and truck runs great. Been like that for 2 days, about 50 miles. No fuel filter indicator light comes on on the dash. Why on earth would a fuel filter restriction sensor failure cause the truck to shut down? I can understand it shutting down when the throttle is depressed if there is a fuel restriction but why at idle and why just for a second and then continue to idle. My guess is with the fuel filter being new it is the sensor that is bad. Make no sense to me. One of those "Better Ideas" from Ford?

Sent from my SCH-R880 using AutoGuide.com App

Last edited by Gun Machanic; 03-06-2012 at 10:10 AM. Reason: typos from my fat thumbs on the small cell phone fixed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 04:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

It could be an issue with the fuel bowl wiring harness. Leaking diesel fuel can do a number on the wiring insulation (turns it to goo) which can lead to shorts (between fuel heater, fuel restriction, IPR ... that's the one on the back of the HPOP). I would do a real thorough inspection of it, especially if there have been fuel leaks in that area. Cheers!
Old 03-07-2012, 12:04 AM

Not sure if you've found a resolution to this, but if disconnecting the fuel restriction sensor eliminated the problem i'd guess at a short. FRS are notorious for leaking.
Quick and painless fix would be eliminate the sensor completely. 1/8" NPT plug from your local hardware store will do the trick, and more often than not solve a fuel leak at the same time
Old 03-07-2012, 02:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Im not too ocncerned about the sensor not being operational. The truck is running fine with it unplugged and the fuel filter does get changed every other oil change. I just thought it was kind of wierd that this particular sensor would cause the truck to shut down like it does.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:59 PM

Any short in the wiring anywhere will cause these trucks to not be happy.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK - Not that it matters because I put shrink tube over the end of the connector and it is zip tied to the Fuel Pressure Regulator on the side of the Fuel Bowl. The truck is running fine like this, the sensor is not leaking so this will be the wire's new home. Before I did that I checked the condition of the wire. Pulled the wire out of the plastic wire loom down to the point where it goes into a main wire group. Not wet anywhere, not soft anywhere looks to be intact. Just for the heck of it I used a jumper wire connected from the end of the wire to the Glow Plug Relay bracket. Basically a dead short or ground. Truck runs normal. The other wierd thing is the Fuel Filter light on the dash has NEVER come on through this whole ordeal. The Wait To Start bulb is the same and that light comes on each time the key is cycled so I swapped the bulbs. Wait to start light comes on but not the Fuel Filter light, both bulbs are good. Like I said I plan to leave it the way it is now, not connected. Just thought someone might find this strange behavior interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.